Select to view content in your preferred language

Migrating Image Server 9.x services to AG10 Mosaic dataset

05-28-2010 03:53 AM
GauteSolaas
New Contributor
Hi,

I've just started to look into AG10 and see that the old shapefile/xml-based service definitions now are available as stored structures within the Geodatabase.

There are both advantages and disadvantages with the old way and my guess is that we still live in a similar world. However, what are the new advantages/disadvantages? Anyone with experience on this please share your insights here!

Also, I'm wondering how to migrate my old services built under 9.x to the new structure. Is there a tool available for this or do I need to spend a couple of months to rebuild my 10TB image services with more than 400.000 images in 10.0?

Cheers,
Gaute
0 Kudos
6 Replies
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor
Advantages:
Make use of power of geoDatabase in being highly scalable (to many millions of records)
Can use both file or Enterprise Mosaic Dataset
Integrates with other ArcGIS tools for editing and management. Can use GPTools fot a lot of things.
Can be used direclty by ArcGIS applicaitons (does not need server)
Can directly program using ArcObjects
No Compile required prior to  publishing

Disadvantage:
Adding data can sometime be slighly slower, but this is offset by fact that no compile is required to use.
XML (for those that like working wthi XMK) is hidden - but RPDefs can still be used.

Converting existind Mosaic Datasets is very easy. ISDef and RPdef are a Raster Type. To covnert an ISDef just create a new Mosaic Dataset and add the existing ISDef. All properties will be transfered.
0 Kudos
MarceloBorsoi
New Contributor
Hi Peter,

Ok, but the values for MinPS and MaxPS fields will be migrate too? Or will be necessary calculate the values again?

Thanks,
Marcelo
0 Kudos
GordonSumerling
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Marcelo,

There is a very good help file on upgrading your old 9.3.1 image service to the new mosaic format at ArcGIS 10.0. It preserves all the investment you have created at 9.3.1:
Migrating an .ISDef to a mosaic dataset

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//009t000001vt000000.htm

Cheers
Gordon
0 Kudos
MarceloBorsoi
New Contributor
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for reply, I had already saw this link.

When I create a Mosaic Dataset and added rasters, the tool calculate the values for MinPS and MaxPs, but I would like to preserve the values for MinPS and MaxPS fields from my ISDef.

Thanks.

Regards,
Marcelo.
0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor
When you add the ISDef turn the compute cell sizes off.
Alternative is to in the ISDef create two new fields (say Min_PS,Max_PS) and use calculate to set them to the same value as the original. Then Import the ISDef. Then reset the MinPS and MaxPS by doing calculate using Min_PS and Max_PS. Note that there was a change between ISDef and MosaicDatasets in that in an ISDef the MinPS,MaxPS values are always in meters, while in a MosaicDataset the value is in the same unit as the SRS of the mosaic dataset. If you create the MD in ft then use [MinPS]=[Min_PS]/0.3048. If in Decimal Degrees use [MinPS]=[Min_PS]/111111.
0 Kudos
MarceloBorsoi
New Contributor
Hi Peter,

Thanks.

Regards,
Marcelo
0 Kudos