Is there a way to set a lowest MaxPS?

11-02-2010 11:39 PM
JohanMattsson
New Contributor
I'm working in a project that scans and digitalizes old navigational charts. Once digitalized we use image services to help users find the charts that are relevant to their current extent or grid cell they are working in. To simplify things we use the multi-lock tool so we only have to load the chars we really need (once we know which it is). Now to my problem. The chars vary in size and some in scale that they are made in. They also overlap alot, so some gets hidden behind others (the multi-lock tool helps here). Even thoe we can't see much on the charts at the scale 1:50,000 its the suitable scale to use the multi-lock tool on our gridcells we divide our workareas in. To get the multi-lock tool to find all the charts in that area i need to set the MaxPS to a minimum of 20 (our charts ranges from 0.5-100+ here). Is there any way to do that?

Johan
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertBerger
New Contributor III
Hi Johan,

Since the MaxPS is a field in the table (At ArcGIS 10), you can edit the table to get the results you're looking for. You can use the field calculator to edit the fields or edit them manually in an edit session. Of course, be careful manually editing the table, as you can possibly change values in a way that will not be good. Luckily this is only the table, you do not edit the source data.

Robert
0 Kudos
JohanMattsson
New Contributor
I tried to edit the footprint attributetable and it worked great. But that got me thinking a bit. When i add new images to the service, do I have to, in the build process, compute pixel ranges or can i just set that manually once the build is done? If i have to compute pixel ranges it changes all the old that i have edited and I dont want that to happen.
0 Kudos
RobertBerger
New Contributor III
Greetings,

You can, if you want to, uncheck the option to calculate the cell-size ranges as you add the data to the mosaic dataset. Be aware that without the values your data will not display, so at one point you'll have to either compute or set these values.
Note also that there is a reason that by default these values are recomputed every time you add data.
Geoprocessing Tool: Compute Cell Size Ranges
Help Topic: Cell size ranges
Hope this helps.

Robert
0 Kudos
JohanMattsson
New Contributor
Thank you Robert!

The links helped me alot. Atleast I now know more about how things work. My next problem will be automating all this, but all things in due time. None have yet demended more than my weekly manual update of our services. All i can hope for is that we can get ArcGIS 10 before that happens.

//Johan
0 Kudos