Select to view content in your preferred language

Creating Imagery Layer with spatial reference other than 3857

Jump to solution
12-21-2022 09:36 AM
Labels (1)
TomGeo
by
Occasional Contributor III

When creating an imagery layer in our portal I select 'image collection' as layer configuration and continue to define the imagery. All my images are tif files, results from satellite imagery classifications, and have spatial reference 3035. In the following I will illustrate the property settings

TomGeo_0-1671642615811.pngTomGeo_1-1671642648386.pngTomGeo_2-1671642685485.png

Changing the default horizontal coordinate system (WGS 1984 Web Mercator (auxiliary sphere)) to ETRS 1989 LAEA has as consequence that the imagery layer is created, but will not visualize in one of the portal viewers, or in ArcGIS Pro.

It will also not show any error when loading the layer, indicating something is wrong with it.

If I keep the default horizontal coordinate system, the layer is created and shows right from the start with a thumbnail,

TomGeo_3-1671643601948.png

and shows in ArcGIS Pro

TomGeo_4-1671643851704.png

but will of course be in WGS 1984 Web Mercator (auxiliary sphere) and has to be reprojected on the fly.

Can one of you explain to me why I cannot keep the imagery layer at the original coordinate system?

The property settings for spatial reference do only point at the output layer, and since I do not want to have any other coordinate system applied on my data, I set the output coordinate system to the input coordinate system. Since, I do not change anything , I would a) not know why I should select a datum transformation, and b) not know what transformation to choose.

- We are living in the 21st century.
GIS moved on and nobody needs a format consisting out of at least three files! No, nobody needs shapefiles, not even for the sake of an exchange format. Folks, use GeoPackage to exchange data with other GIS!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomGeo
by

Okay, I figured it out!

The image server is using EPSG:3857 as default coordinate system!

I created an imagery layer actively deleting the horizontal coordinate system in the property settings. Still, without any coordinate system provided, the server is using the default coordinate system and not the one provided by the input data from the data store!

So, I specified EPSG:3035 in the properties and provided the transformation ETRS_1989_To WGS84... it worked.

But please ESRI, can you change the default behavior to recognize the coordinate system provide by the input data, and not overriding them by the server defaults?

GIS moved on and nobody needs a format consisting out of at least three files! No, nobody needs shapefiles, not even for the sake of an exchange format. Folks, use GeoPackage to exchange data with other GIS!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TomGeo
by

Okay, I figured it out!

The image server is using EPSG:3857 as default coordinate system!

I created an imagery layer actively deleting the horizontal coordinate system in the property settings. Still, without any coordinate system provided, the server is using the default coordinate system and not the one provided by the input data from the data store!

So, I specified EPSG:3035 in the properties and provided the transformation ETRS_1989_To WGS84... it worked.

But please ESRI, can you change the default behavior to recognize the coordinate system provide by the input data, and not overriding them by the server defaults?

0 Kudos