Automatically Recognize Objects in An Image

01-25-2019 06:02 AM
DaveNuhn
New Contributor III

I have been working with multispectral and RGB orthomosaic imagery in ArcMap 10.5. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to possibly automatically have shapefiles drawn around specific objects within the imagery. Doing it manually is great and all but very time consuming for large areas. Maybe there is some python scripting that can be done but, that is a little out of my expertise. I have attached an image as an example. The yellow shapefiles around the objects (2) were done manually and the goal is to make this automatically for similar objects in the imagery. Hope to hear from someone, any information would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Nothing is automatic

Introduction to the ArcGIS Pro Image Analyst extension—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

but there are tools here and in other locations that can assist in the process

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I agree with Dan about automatic, or not being automatic.  You will also want to check out What's new in ArcGIS Pro 2.3—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop since Esri introduced three new geoprocessing tools for image classification and object detection.

DaveNuhn
New Contributor III

Joshua and Dan, thank you both for the insight. I will look into ArcGIS Pro, along with some machine learning techniques that could be done outside of ArcGIS. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos