We're looking to track analytics on our open data site: opendata.dc.gov.

09-10-2014 07:52 AM
MattCrossett
New Contributor III

What are some of our options?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
NataliyaLys
Occasional Contributor II

We are interested in that as well. We would really like to know what is getting downloaded the most?

0 Kudos
TimMinter
Occasional Contributor III

When I request your open data site, Esri's code calls Google Analytics, which suggests that they are tracking and have access to the information you want.  You may be able to pursue via a support request for your open data site.

tim

0 Kudos
PaulCrickard1

If you have access to your web server you should be able to view the logs(write a script to parse out unique IPs and what they requested). Or sign up for Google Anlaytics, put the code on the bottom of your page and you can log in and see whatever you want.

If you are interested in tracking map usage, this is cool - you can track most frequent zoom levels and all kinds of awesomeness:

Tracking Slippy Map Analytics — Dustin Sampson on Vimeo

0 Kudos
DanielFenton1

Hi Matt,

One option is to set up Google Analytics and place the tracking code in your header html section. You will have to make sure it is configured as a second tracker so as not to interfere analytics the Open Data team is running across all sites.

Here is some helpful documentation about that:

Advanced Configuration - Web Tracking (analytics.js) - Google Analytics — Google Developers

Please let me know if you run into any issues if you try that.

CameronMcCormick
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for sharing that, very helpful

0 Kudos
MalcolmJ

Hi Daniel.

I've tried to set up google analytics on our open data site, using the link you supplied above.

It sort of worked in that its recording hits, but apparently these are all referral spam, and its not recording any legitimate hits.

Are there any 'Open Data' specific guides to how to get google analytics working???

Basically I've posted the attached code into the Header HTML section and amended the code to account for it being the second tracker but not totally sure I've done it right.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DanielFenton1

Hey Malcolm, I'm not sure what you mean by referral spam. Can you share some screenshots or reports from your Google Analytics?

0 Kudos
MalcolmJ

This article gives a quick explanation of referral spam as well as a list of some of the offending sites: http://viget.com/advance/removing-referral-spam-from-google-analytics. My colleague has been researching solutions for this as it has become an increasing issue in the past few weeks with the potential to skew our reporting. When we analysed where the traffic was coming from on our open data site the only hits recorded are what this article refers to as ‘ghost referral traffic’ meaning traffic that has spoofed Google Analytics servers, not actually visited our site. While we know there have been genuine visits to our site, none, not even web crawler spam, are showing in our GA results, meaning the tracking code isn’t functioning as it should.

0 Kudos
DanielFenton1

Which site is yours?

0 Kudos