Tags or Categories

08-05-2020 02:05 PM
ZacharyUhlmann
New Contributor III

I have some initial thoughts on why one over the other, but these two organizational tools seem pretty redundant right?  Tags can just be abstracted up to Categories.  I imagine the main functional difference is that tags are used online more for filtering data.  Can someone explain to me WHY Categories are a thing and share their use cases that make them necessary.

I am managing data and maps for a large project, primarily with non-GIS folks (biologists, engineers) so they just want ways to filter the data, view it and order maps with particular feature layers.  For instance for Wetland Survey Spring 2020 I may tag it: 'Wetland' and 'Current'.  Then replace 'Current' with 'Archive' once 2021 hits.

Thanks for the insight!

Zach

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Fast difference between the two.  Tags are associated directly to an item, typically with a use.  Categories can lump items together in a group of features that work together. 

0 Kudos
ZacharyUhlmann
New Contributor III

Ok.  Might take me awhile to wrap my head around and use them properly.  I know it's simple but there is definitely a union between the two that takes finesse to differentiate.  Thanks Robert! 

0 Kudos