Open Data layers no longer indexing / cannot download externally hosted layers

Jump to solution
05-14-2020 08:03 AM
TrevorBurgan
New Contributor II

We've been using the Open Data / Hub for a while and for the last few months we are unable to get any features to actually download.

Site here: City of Santa Ana - GIS Open Data 

We host the data on our own ArcGIS Server (ver. 6.1) here:  https://gis.santa-ana.org/server/rest/services/Public 

In the past we were able to add these external services and the Open Data site would index them and allow people to download the features to Shapefile or File Geodatabase.

This no longer works, the download button animates and acts like something is happening, but nothing ever downloads.

Test layer here:  Council Wards 

When this error was called into support, the response we received was - "This is a bug.  If enough people call in about it, we might fix it." 

So hopefully more people will see this and notify support so they will take action.

Thanks-

Trevor

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KaitlynPurcell
Esri Contributor

Hi Trevor Burgan

Taking a quick look at the web traffic when attempting to download the Council Wards feature layer as a shapefile, I see a request made to the service that comes back with the following response:

• {"errors":[{"title":"Server Error","status":500,"message":"request to https://gis.santa-ana.org/server/rest/services/Public/COC_CouncilWards2020/FeatureServer/0?f=json failed, reason: unable to verify the first certificate"}],"meta":{}}

Do we see this behavior with all ArcGIS Server hosted services? If so, this leads me to think there could be an incomplete certificate chain, but it would need to be looked into more on the Server side. Hopefully this sheds some light.

Best,

Kaitlyn

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KaitlynPurcell
Esri Contributor

Hi Trevor Burgan

Taking a quick look at the web traffic when attempting to download the Council Wards feature layer as a shapefile, I see a request made to the service that comes back with the following response:

• {"errors":[{"title":"Server Error","status":500,"message":"request to https://gis.santa-ana.org/server/rest/services/Public/COC_CouncilWards2020/FeatureServer/0?f=json failed, reason: unable to verify the first certificate"}],"meta":{}}

Do we see this behavior with all ArcGIS Server hosted services? If so, this leads me to think there could be an incomplete certificate chain, but it would need to be looked into more on the Server side. Hopefully this sheds some light.

Best,

Kaitlyn

TrevorBurgan
New Contributor II

Hi Kaitlyn- 

Thanks for the response! - We're going to investigate this with our Network guys. I'll post an update when we find out more.

Thanks-

Trevor 

0 Kudos
TrevorBurgan
New Contributor II

Our network guys took a look and "did something (below)".  Downloading is working now, albeit somewhat slowly.  Thanks Kaitlyn!

We are publishing Cityworks and GIS to internet through our Load Balancer which only allows people access to these sites on port 443. One of the feature on this load balancer is called SSL off loading where processing of SSL (encrypting/decrypting of data) is handled at the load balancer to lessen the load on the web server. When we first published Cityworks and GIS to internet, we enabled SSL offloading on both Cityworks and GIS but Cityworks didn’t like SSL offloading at the load balancer so we disabled this for Cityworks. However, GIS was working fine with SSL offloading so we left that enabled at the load balancer. It looks like GIS never worked properly since we published this out to internet because SSL offloading was always on GIS. I just disabled SSL offloading on GIS.