Import metadata into AGOL from xml produced in ArcCatalog

06-14-2017 11:30 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm trying to import meta data into AGOL, and it's not working correctly.  I'm not getting any info about attribute info (columns/fields)

I notice that when editing the metadata in ArcCatalog, I have a red X in the Lineage Description.  I have not been able to get rid of that.  I open lineage, and there are none of those more descriptive error messages.  Not sure why that would prevent me from seeing field info in AGOL meta data.

After I import the .xml into AGOL, I can see the Attributes when I try to edit it in AGOL.  BUT when I just try to view the meta data, the Attributes are not there.

13 Replies
CourtneyClaessens
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Doug, 

This is a great question for the  https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/arcgisonline  space. The folks there are better suited to help with ArcGIS Online metadata questions. 

Courtney 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for moving it Courney, I’m new to this forum and it’s format and sub-forums.

0 Kudos
AnninaHirschi_Wyss1

Hi Doug,

can you send a screenshot of your metadata in ArcCatalog?

Which metadata standard template are you using? ISO? FGDC?

Could you also provide a screenshot with the differences in the edit-mode and view-mode?

There are several types of mandatory or conditionally mandatory elements in these standards. For instance: The Lineage-class is not mandatory by itself (you can completely remove that class and still get valid metadata), but once you open the class, at least a description has to be provided. To get rid of the red x, you'll have to provide either a description or remove the lineage completely.

For moving your message: I guess it should be you to edit your message and moving the question to the other space.

Best,

Annina

agol metadata‌

metadata arccatalog‌

publish metadata‌

editing metadata

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Annina,

I’m using the ArcGIS standard for the Metadata. It needs to be this standard to import into Open Data.

The View of the Metadata in ArcCatalog shows the Attribute information. The problem is that when loading the .xml into Open Data, the attribute information is not there. I was thinking perhaps it was because of the red X on the Lineage class as the Attributes come after that.

I would like to just remove the lineage class completely, but can’t see how to do that. I would think a right click would allow some options.

Thanks

Doug

View Mode -

Edit Mode –

0 Kudos
AnninaHirschi_Wyss1

Doug,

Your screenshot looks a lot like ISO/FGDC. Can you quickly check under "Customize" -> "Metadata"-Tab, and see which standard is selected?

In the ISO-Standard, the values for the "Attributes Information" are added automatically under "Fields", but you might also have to complete some information there to get rid of all the "red x".

Lineage becomes mandatory, when you entered something in the data quality. So you need to provide a statement under Lineage, or delete everything in the Data Quality class.

But if you don't bother about "valid" metadata according to the selected Standard, the red x's are not blocking the export/upload/publishing of metadata.

In any case, and independent of how you show your metadata in ArcCatalog, it is stored in the internal format. This allows to export/transform it into different standards afterwards.

To get an XML in the ArcGIS (internal) Standard (in order to be able to open it in the metadata editor of ArcGIS online), I do the following:

• If the data (with complete metadata) is stored as shapefile, you have the xx.shp.xml already in the right format.
  • If the data is stored in a gdb, you get the metadata.xml by using the XSLT-Transformation tool and select the XSLT "exact copy of.xslt" in the \Metadata\Stylesheets\gpTools of your ArcGIS Directory. 
  • In ArcGIS online, go to the item description, click on the metadata button to open the editor. there choose "open" and select your metadata.xml
  • All the metadata should be loaded and you can save and close. (The attributes figure in the "fields"-tab.)
  • This metadata is then also be accessible from your Open Data Site, but you are right, the attribute information does not appear by clicking on the metadata-link in the open data item details.
    It seems that it is not part of the "default" format and output parameters. If you remove format & output from the URL and just keep "//path/to/item/metadata/metadata.xml", you will get all your fields in the ArcGIS Standard, if you want it in ISO (pure xml only), you add ?format=ISO19139 to the url (without the "output").

Does this answer your question? What I don't know, if there is a possibility to customise the html output...

Best,

Annina

PS: I learned myself a lot about how ArcGIS handles metadata, by trying to answer your question 😉

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Annina,

That does answer my question.  Odd that the field information does not come across.

Thanks again

Doug

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for this thread!  I had exactly the same question today.  The "open" button in the AGOL metadata editor isn't very obvious nor do I think it correctly describes the function of this tool. "Import Metadata" might be more accurate. My eyes kind of glossed over the "open" button when I was looking at this today. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Found a fix for getting the attribute information it import.  In AGO go to My Organization>Edit Settings>Item Details and change the Metadata type to FGDC CSDGM.  That fixed it for me to have the .xml import show the attribute info in AGO

0 Kudos
AnninaHirschi_Wyss1

Hi Doug,

Thanks for checking.

I guess I found the reason, why the entire description appears only for FGDC/ArcGIS Metadata format, but not for the other standards even in pure XML of e.g. ISO 19139 (contrarily as I said in my first post).

I inquired a little further, and it seems that the description of the attributes is not directly part of the ISO 19115 Standard, but the ISO 19110 (MD_FeatureCatalogue) can be used (with the ISO 19139 encoding Standard: http://www.isotc211.org/2005/gfc/gfc.xsd ) to describe the data model (ISO 19110 (Feature Catalog) - NOAA Environmental Data Management Wiki ).

ArcGIS Metadata Format allows to describe the fields, independently of which Standard you choose in ArcCatalog Options. They are matched to FGDC, but NOT to the ISO Implementation Standard.

My question is therefore: Why does ArcCatalog when set to an ISO Standard allow to describe the fields, when they are not rendered afterwards? I will inquire further, and share the information as soon as I get them.

iso 19139‌

iso 19115‌

0 Kudos