How to use Open Data with both both AGOL hosted data and data on our ArcGIS Enterprise server

Jump to solution
06-24-2021 11:06 AM
KevinMacLeodCAI
Occasional Contributor II

I would like to have the Open Data search on Hub work with both content in our AGOL (hosted data and apps) as well as data on our ArcGIS Enterprise server on premise. Basically for it to point at both at once and to work just as if everything was in one place. 

Before I go too far on the wrong track, is this what this 'federating' help section is about?

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/hub/content/federate-data-with-external-catalogs.htm

This seemed more geared toward letting users see results from federal data sources i.e. data.gov as well as making our data visible to Data.gov's search results, coming from the other direction. That's nice, and perhaps I will delve into that down the road as a convenience feature for users, but it is less important than simply making all local data available now to residents, coming from both places: AGOL and on-prem Enterprise. Thanks everyone!

I love all the customization available with Hub especially the custom HTML/CSS. Great work.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
ThomasHervey1
Esri Contributor

@KevinMacLeodCAIyou're correct that the federated content docs are for external consumption by sources like data.gov. What you're trying to accomplish has a few approaches. If you expose both your ArcGIS Online and your ArcGIS Enterprise services, you can add them directly to a Hub site using the "New" > "Content" button, and then add via URL. Another approach is to set up a Distributed Collaboration between your two sources, and then add content to the Hub site as you would normally for ArcGIS Online only content. If you need further assistance setting up a collaboration, your best bet is to ask Esri Support.

View solution in original post

KevinMacLeodCAI

Hi Thomas, Portal Collaboration would be perfect but for various reasons that was out. I tested another solution which seems to work perfectly - Adding a layer from a server with "Add Item" then "From URL". Open Data finds and downloads perfectly. So this works to add content from various agencies or other relevant entities, for folks wanting to blend local and state/federal or other data for users to find on Open Data results.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ThomasHervey1
Esri Contributor

@KevinMacLeodCAIyou're correct that the federated content docs are for external consumption by sources like data.gov. What you're trying to accomplish has a few approaches. If you expose both your ArcGIS Online and your ArcGIS Enterprise services, you can add them directly to a Hub site using the "New" > "Content" button, and then add via URL. Another approach is to set up a Distributed Collaboration between your two sources, and then add content to the Hub site as you would normally for ArcGIS Online only content. If you need further assistance setting up a collaboration, your best bet is to ask Esri Support.

AJ_devaccount
Occasional Contributor

Hi @ThomasHervey1, thanks for answering this question! Can you please explain what "expose both your ArcGIS Online and your ArcGIS Enterprise services" mean? Also if a server feature is added to an open data site, would it compromise the security of the local server?

0 Kudos
KevinMacLeodCAI

Hi Thomas, Portal Collaboration would be perfect but for various reasons that was out. I tested another solution which seems to work perfectly - Adding a layer from a server with "Add Item" then "From URL". Open Data finds and downloads perfectly. So this works to add content from various agencies or other relevant entities, for folks wanting to blend local and state/federal or other data for users to find on Open Data results.

AJ_devaccount
Occasional Contributor

Hi @KevinMacLeodCAI , for being able to add Enterprise items to a public open data hub, did you have to make the Server public facing, perhaps by following these steps?

0 Kudos