How can I add a scroll bar on my survey123 in the Hub?

Jump to solution
03-19-2018 08:15 AM
Julie_Kjeldsen-KraghKeller
Esri Contributor

I would like to have a scrollbar next to my survey 123, so it is possible to see the entire survey. As far as I can understand, I cannot use a text box for this purpose, since an iframe html tag is not allowed. The only other option would be to increase the iframe height (currently set to 500), but that will not look very good. 

Currently, my survey looks like this: 

Any suggestions of how to solve this problem?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We are releasing an update on Tuesday that should meet your needs

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
KlaraSchmitt
Esri Contributor

Hi Julie,

Presently, there is no way to set scrolling on iframes and you do have to adjust the height manually. Setting the scroll parameter on iframes is deprecated functionality according to web standards. However, modern browsers haven't lived up to the CSS options, so we're hoping to get the functionality added in the next couple months, as like you, others have also made this request.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Esri Contributor

Thanks for your reply Klara. 
I have a colleague who have set up a survey123 with a scroll bar, so my problem is trying to find out why he managed to do it. As far as I know, he used the iFrame option in the layout builder to add in his survey. I have attached an image of the survey here with the scroll bar: 

But basically, what you are saying that I should find another option for my survey, since a scroll bar is not ideal in the design, or supported in all browsers?

0 Kudos
KlaraSchmitt
Esri Contributor

Hi Julie,

Do you have a public view of the page that your colleague has that on? What browser were they using? It may very well be that certain browsers ignore the parameter and do their own thing, but I would be curious to dig in and see if it was a CSS solution.

0 Kudos
Esri Contributor

Hi Klara

Here is the link to the hub that has added a survey123 with a scrollbar: ArcGIS Hub 

0 Kudos
KlaraSchmitt
Esri Contributor

Hi Julie,

So I took a look at the site you provided and tested out my own survey, which I added into a site through an iframe and I was actually surprised to discover that all the browsers we support (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, IE11, & Edge) were ignoring the parameter that sets the iframe not to scroll and scrolled the survey content regardless. I believe the survey team may have implemented something on their side, since our card is still blocking the parameter. Have you tried your site recently to see if the survey would scroll?

0 Kudos
Esri Contributor

Hi Klara

I just tested the iFrame on my site again, and I still get the same result. I also had this issue up with Esri Support, which they closed and marked as a bug to be resolved: ENH-000112134

Here is a link to my hub: ArcGIS Hub and here is a link to the survey I am trying to add in: https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/1c070be4137b49b68c2f18acbc505b94 

KlaraSchmitt
Esri Contributor

Hi Julie,

This is a very weird situation. From a technical standpoint, nothing inside the iframes should be scrollable because the iframe parameter that sets scrolling is currently set to not allowed in all browsers. I have observed that any content I iframe in that is not a survey, does not scroll. Now we get to the really odd part. Certain surveys seem to support inline scrolling. The survey that I was able to scroll when I tested it out earlier is a 5.2.3 version survey that I created this past November; however, when I created a brand new survey today, I have the exact same issue as you in that the survey does respect the iframe parameter. I'm guessing that your colleague may have created their survey a little while ago too and that's why they were able to scroll. So unfortunately, this leaves us at my first response. It is currently unsupported and your colleague got a lucky window in survey versioning where this somehow got supported and overrode browser defaults (a happy bug.) But we do have an issue on our backlog to allow this parameter to be customizable so that - for example in your case - you could set it to allowed.

0 Kudos
Esri Contributor

Thank you so much for all that work. I could also see that older surveys allowed a scroll bar, but when i edited in an older survey and added that, the scroll bar disappeared. We will change the layout of our hub for now. 

Thanks again. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We are releasing an update on Tuesday that should meet your needs

0 Kudos