Error linking HUB site to custom domain

06-11-2020 06:26 AM
OliverKiley1
New Contributor

Hello.

We've purchased a custom domain name for a ArcGIS HUB page we are building, and are having trouble getting it to link.  When we browse to the custom domain, it looks like it's connecting to ESRI's server (shows the square "loading" icon) but then we get a 404 error.

We've tried to follow the instructions listed below to the letter - but I'm thinking perhaps some steps are missing?

Configure site settings—ArcGIS Hub | Documentation 

What we've done:

(1) Acquired our new domain:    www.OURDOMAIN.org

(2) Added hub.arcgis.com as a CNAME to www.OURDOMAIN.org

(3) Configured the DNS to redirect to www.OURDOMAIN.org

(4) Added www.OURDOMAIN.org to the ArcGIS hub website under custom domain (which was validated correctly)

The HUB-based web address is as follows:   SiteName-OrgName.hub.arcgis.com

Does the CNAME need to be something more specific (e.g. sitename-orgname.hub.arcgis.com) or is just hub.arcgis.com correct to use as a CNAME?

Anyone else having similar issues?

Thank you

0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Did you click "save" after you cleared the custom domain dialog?

edit: your CNAME looks good to me

0 Kudos
OliverKiley1
New Contributor

Yes, we clicked save.  I just refreshed and now it says in the custom domain window that the CNAME cannot resolve to ArcGIS Hub.  Didn't say that before.

EDIT: We had a different CNAME in there to test. It's correct CNAME (hub.arcgis.com) again. Site still doesn't connect though. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can you email me the site in question? ghudgins@esri.com 

0 Kudos
Kara_Shindle
Occasional Contributor III

Any luck on this?  We just added a CNAME to the DNS for our hub site, and I got the message that everything had worked and that it had to redirect me to the new page to continue edits.  The new page says that the site was able to validate the CNAME.  But the new page says it cannot be displayed.  It propagated through AGOL, because the "View Application" option in my Content page now takes me to the CNAME, but again, it is not displaying.

I'm getting errors about the Certificate on every web browser I try it on, that the certificate has issues.  I've tried it both with and without HTTPS enforced.

Chrome: NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

Firefox: Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead / Connection Not Secure

Update:

Old Site: https://gis-franklincountypa.hub.arcgis.com 

New Site: https://gisportal.franklincountypa.gov/

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It does take us up to 24 hours to issue a new certificate. Was this just recently saved? 

Kara_Shindle
Occasional Contributor III

Forgot to respond to this and I've had others asking.  Yes, it was recent, and it did take a few hours for this to work.

0 Kudos
dkalil
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Recently a case very similar to this issue came to support, they were having issues with the custom domain set for the Hub site to work, and after loading the site 3 times it got to work. But after refreshing the site multiple times, so we checked developer tools and a CORS error showed up, but also something else about a file that couldn't be read. So, we temporarily removed the custom domain and found out there was no CNAME, or it was hidden. After setting it up again and waiting 24 hours it worked perfect.