Does Open Data support Annotation?

02-19-2016 09:18 AM
KyleWikstrom
Occasional Contributor II

A user has published an annotation map service, created an item for it in AGO and shared it with the Open Data designated group. However, this service/layer does not appear in the Open Data site. Does ArcGIS Open Data support annotation map services?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KyleWikstrom

Response from Esri:

We currently do not support Annotation Feature Classes as Open Data. All datasets shared as open data are accessible as CSV, KML, SHP, and GeoJSON.

Annotation represents label placement in the  map.

0 Kudos
AndrewTurner
Esri Contributor

Thanks for asking Kyle Wikstrom. I'm interested to hear more details on what type of Annotations you would like to share. Can you share the details and link to the public layer and your thoughts about the user experience in Open Data?

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Did you ask ESRI if they ever planned to support this functionality?  If so, did they give a tentative version of ArcGIS where this would be supported?

0 Kudos
KyleWikstrom

Hi Andrew,

The use would be to share the annotation feature class and download it as annotation. I've only heard about cases where annotation was exported to shapefile using ArcGIS for Desktop and the label text was contained in an attribute field. I am unsure if this shapefile can then be converted back to annotation.

Here is the annotation service link.

Mapbook/Racine_Anno (MapServer)

The desire is to download annotation for the area of interest, and since FGDB is not an available option to contain the anno, I can only theorize being able to download a polygon SHP with anno in an attribute field.

This is an extremely specific use case.

0 Kudos