Adding Initiative to a Hub Site

Jump to solution
10-31-2018 10:38 AM
Mark_Hébert
New Contributor III

Adding Initiatives to a Hub Site

I cannot find documentation as to how to add 1 or more initiative to our existing hub site.

I've created an initiative, called Smart City Competition.

On our Hub page, using the Layout Builder, I don't find a widget for Initiatives. There is a Follow Initiative widget, but it doesn't have a method for associating an Initiative.

Also, I cannot add Events to my Initiative - I get a notification 

This is very perplexing.

In the online documentation, Events—ArcGIS Hub | ArcGIS, the instructions for creating an Event states: "To get started, you must have an initiative and a configured initiative site."

Since I already have both element, it's not clear how to proceed. Please point be in the right direction. Thanks.

Mark

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

every initiative needs a site. add a website to your initiative and the events message will go away (and events will hang off of that)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello!

Once you make the initiative you want, you need to add a site to your initiative. You can do this by clicking "Add Existing" for linking an existing site to your initiative or by creating a new site using the "New From Template" button. 

0 Kudos
Mark_Hébert
New Contributor III

Looking at the Initiative Manager (https://hub.arcgis.com/admin/initiatives), I don’t see an “Add Existing” option. Nor do I see this option on the initiative config page.

There is such a button under the Inform the Public section of the initiative for adding apps. I’ve already associated 15 apps to this initiative under this section. What is causing the notice for Events?

Thanks

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

every initiative needs a site. add a website to your initiative and the events message will go away (and events will hang off of that)

0 Kudos
Mark_Hébert
New Contributor III

Yes! - I added the main Hub site and that worked. Thanks a bunch.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

another idea to get all of your initiatives linked out from your existing site is to either 1) hard code links to them or 2) use the gallery card for Sites

The other way you could do initiatives is to show them in your search results of your site by sharing the initiative items to the groups on your site. Our new search which is in beta will generate the proper links to the initiative sites and you could make a category card called "active projects" or something pointing to just the initiative items.

we have a feature in the works (it's a ways off, though) that will give you a sort of "home site" that is the org wide view of your hub. Today, without this feature, your existing Open Data site is the best analogy to that. 

Unfortunately we don't have a specific initiative widget. 

0 Kudos
Mark_Hébert
New Contributor III

Looking at this second response: it appears that initiative ‘sites’ should be linked by a category that can be called in the gallery widget on the hub site. Do you know what other agencies have done, like Loudon and Brampton? I feel like this process is poorly explained – stands to reason that once I have an initiative I’d want to showcase it in the hub (since the two are imagined and touted as one) so that it can be publicized and accessed for engagement.

All the best

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

>stands to reason that once I have an initiative I’d want to showcase it in the hub (since the two are imagined and touted as one) so that it can be publicized and accessed for engagement.

a few things - 1) you're right. we don't really have the "in the [overall] hub" concept yet which is (to me) a "home" that shows everything going on across your organization. 2) when we did initial research into this product the most engaging thing we found from the customers trying out the pattern (LA, for example) isn't the overall organization's website...it's the initiatives/projects. Imagine you're walking through a park and you see a sign about some upcoming improvements--you will likely google for that project and not the organization. Our hypothesis is the more engaging thing is the sites you make for each project and drive people to sign up, take a survey, attend an event, etc. but in the project context

the struggle today is you basically are charged with manually making that org-wide "overall hub" site that shows off all your initiatives--this is especially important internally to help enroll more stakeholders and project leads. That's what most if not all of our existing customers do today--many of them by manually putting <a> tags on the site they think of as their overall site...their hub home. I apologize that the process isn't that clear. We have heard loud and clear about these issues and have several features and redesigned navigation systems around the app that will hopefully help. I can elaborate on these ideas and I think this geonet post is spurring our design team a bit--they might want to talk to you as well.

As always - WE appreciate your collaboration

0 Kudos
Mark_Hébert
New Contributor III

Thanks. I'm working to build the initiative into the Hub. I'll follow up.

0 Kudos