Show all available filter values when filtering for open data download

02-03-2022 12:36 PM
Labels (1)
NinaRihn
Occasional Contributor III

Currently the Open Data Filters dialog only displays up to five unique values to filter on for a given field.   If there are more possible values, the end user must search to access them.  The problem is the end user often will not know what other potential field values exist to filter on.   My suggestion is to display all possible field values available for filtering on a particular field, not require the end user to know and search. 

Tags (3)
4 Comments
KaraUtter

My open data shows the option of all fields for filtering purposes - do you possibly have a setting on your original data service that is causing the limited field option for filtering?

KaraUtter_0-1646234171670.png

NinaRihn

Hi Kara, I see all fields to filter, however if I choose a field whose values I want to choose to filter on, then it only shows me up to 5 of that field's unique values.    

KaraUtter

@NinaRihn I see what you are saying! That's very restricting for users. I am noticing that if I choose a field that has more than 1000 unique values, it doesn't give a single unique value option for the user. Giving the ability for a user to see the values they can search on would be very helpful for the exact reasons you mentioned, the users don't typically know what is available unless they can view the unique values.

KaraUtter_0-1646235371632.png

yrpEH
by

I agree. 

If you have a 'type' field it will only show 5 of the types and the user has to guess what other types they may want to filter by. A simple expand button or a scroll through the values would work better than a search bar where the user has to know what to start searching by.