Select to view content in your preferred language

Full screen button for embedded application cards - easy to collapse and return to spot on Page

Thursday
Labels (3)
Teresa_Blader
Occasional Contributor III

Setting content height levels in Hub for applications, surveys, or embedded content in a Page is limiting - often cutting content off at awkward places or introducing extra scroll bars, making things weird between desktop and mobile view. To avoid this right now, the only option is to add as a card so the application opens in the whole site if set up to do so in the Site settings - the problem then is that you lose the navigation heading menu when you open an application via a card. It's not easy to get back to where you were. It's only easy to click back to the home site if you're savy enough to know the title is a link. I've tried adding applications to pages to retain the heading menu, but then you're back to the same issue of having to set the height of the application on the page - since there is no full screen option.

I'm suggesting, much like StoryMaps, when one of these cards is used there is a hover icon for "Full screen" mode and then back... saving your scroll spot on the page, and keeping the page open underneath.

This is particularly important for survey123 cards, as the height set really controls the survey123 experience, but using the button option where the survey opens in the full screen removes the theme, the header menu, and makes it hard to get back to the same place on the page you found it. And then, when you navigate in a Survey123 that is embedded, no matter the height set, when you click "next" inside a survey with pages, the hub site scrolls down which is just a weird behavior. If there was a "full screen" button - much like how the "share this card" hover option appears, this would easily help.

The setting could be enabled right next to the "Enable Share" option in the content card settings and say something like "Enable Full Screen".

2 Comments
JessicaMcCann

Hi Teresa,

I came across this blog today and wondered if it could get you part way there. I just wanted to provide it to you for looking it over. 

https://resources.esri.ca/getting-technical/create-custom-image-cards-in-arcgis-hub

Regards,

Teresa_Blader

@JessicaMcCann To clarify I am not talking about "cards" in the Text content "card" -  I am meaning the Page Layout content cards - Application, Survey, Gallery etc - the ones that are dropped and dragged into the page and how those behave when they are added and opened or embedded.

Thanks for the resource though - it didn't look like there was any information about creating some sort of "full screen" hover button in calcite once the link is clicked and opened... but maybe I missed it.