Discussions frequently asked questions

11-03-2022 08:33 AM
rho12245
Esri Contributor
3 0 536

What is discussions and who can participate? 

Discussions is a new feature in ArcGIS Hub Premium that allows groups to have secure and focused conversations around items of content. Any group member, whether Staff or Community, can start a discussion. 

How can I upgrade from ArcGIS Hub Basic to ArcGIS Hub Premium?

ArcGIS Hub Basic customers may contact Esri Customer Service to upgrade to a Premium license.

Under which ArcGIS Hub license can I use the discussions feature? 

Discussions is available to ArcGIS Hub Premium customers only. ArcGIS Hub Basic customers can upgrade to a Premium license, to make use of this new feature. 

When will discussions be available to use? 

November 10, 2022 

How can I upgrade from ArcGIS Hub Basic to ArcGIS Hub Premium?
ArcGIS Hub Basic customers may contact Esri Customer Service to upgrade to a Premium license.

Where can I find discussions in Hub (how do I get started)?  

When signed in to a site (live) and viewing a content item (map, document, image, etc.), group members can ask questions or share information about that item. First, click the discussions icon. Then, click the ‘Add a Post’ button, select the desired Group, and create your post (or reply).  

Activate discussionsActivate discussions 

What types of content are supported by Hub discussions?  

You can have a conversation around any type of content in your Library. This includes images, spreadsheets, documents, PDFs, survey forms, datasets, feature services, web maps, story maps, and more. 

Where are discussions visible in Hub? 

Discussion threads can be found alongside the piece of content, to which they are connected. 

In a discussion around a map, can I indicate a location as part of a post or reply?  

Yes. For geospatial content (map-based), users can connect the post or reply to an existing geographic feature (“map” type items excluded on desktop), or to a feature they draw on the map. You can associate multiple geographic features with a post or reply. 

Connect geography to postConnect geography to post

How do I control the privacy of my discussions? 

Discussions are started within a group and only members of that group can view and contribute to the conversation. 

How can I keep track of a conversation outside of Hub? 

The discussions feature includes the ability to ”@mention" and send email notifications to other group members, with a direct link to a specific post or reply.  

Send email notificationSend email notification

Can a discussion be closed, or deleted? 

The group member who created the conversation or the organizational administrator can delete it.

Can a discussion have guidelines or ground rules attached to it?  

Esri has its own Terms and Conditions and we are evaluating a ‘code of conduct’ document that is specifically related to Hub discussions.  

Can a discussion be translated? 

Automatic translation is not yet supported. 

What are some future capabilities to anticipate? 

The capabilities of discussions will be expanded to other areas of ArcGIS Hub Premium. This includes the ability to: have group-based discussions (from team profile), have new formats of discussions, include external stakeholders, and moderate a post or discussion. 

Read more about Hub discussions!

About the Author
Technical Writer & Product Engineer, Esri