WebSocket (/StreamService) Not Updating

11-04-2014 09:59 AM
JeremyMullins1
New Contributor III

I am working on the Twitter Connector tutorial provided by the GeoEvent Team. I have been able to get real-time tweets with the appropriate information on my TCP socket (tcp5570-text-out):

1.PNG

I followed the next steps and created a new connector labeled "Publish Features to a Stream Layer". Here is a picture of my setup, formatted specifically to the instructions of the tutorial

: 2.PNG

So, after creating the connector, importing the proper .jar files for the inbound and outbound Twitter adapters/transports, this is what my GeoEvent Service looks like (along with the properties of the filter and processor):

4.PNG6.PNG

5.PNG

After all this, my Stream Layer does not update with any new geolocated tweets. I have checked and double-checked my steps to make sure I wasn't missing a step, but I seem to be doing just fine. That is, however, I noticed a relatively large gap between the tutorial steps and the actual steps. One noticeable difference from the tutorial is this:

3.PNG

As you can see from the image I embedded for the connector, I cannot select this option. I am thinking this has something to do with it. Did I miss some step somewhere that allows this option to be turned on? Is the GEP version from the tutorial been upgraded to where this doesn't apply anymore, and if so, what else could I be possibly doing wrong?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ThomasPaschke
New Contributor III

Hey Jeremy,

I do not see any problem on first sight. You can still edit the ‘Update Interval', it is at the hidden properties of your connector. Please make also sure the Formatted JSON property is set to false as explained in the WebSocket tutorial (Publishing Feature JSON to a JavaScript Stream Layer).

What client are you using which does not update? Did you check on the WebSocket?

Best,

Thomas

JeremyMullins1
New Contributor III

Thomas,

Thanks for the quick response. Where are the hidden properties of my connector located at within the GEP Manager? I have not done the WebSocket tutorial yet; do you recommend I do that before I start on this? Are you referring to Generic-JSON when you say "Formatted JSON" - in that case, then yes, it is set to false. Here is a screenshot of what I am working with (with the websocket connection identified in the bottom of the image:

1.PNG

0 Kudos
ThomasPaschke
New Contributor III

Yes I would definitely recommend walking through the WebSocket Tutorial if you want to use StreamLayer.
The hidden properties are part of your connector properties. Please have a look on the edited screenshot below.

What did you specify as the URL on your StreamLayer Output? Make sure it is set to "StreamService
Could you please check if you receive data on the WebSocket of the StreamLayer output by connecting to http://localhost.esri.com:6180/StreamService.

JeremyMullins1
New Contributor III

Thomas,

I checked the URL path in my output "stream-layer-out", and it is set to "/StreamService" (without the quotations). As far as receiving data on the Websocket, I cannot connect to http://localhost.esri.com:6180/StreamService.

0 Kudos
ThomasPaschke
New Contributor III

Sorry my bet. Try http://localhost.YOURDOMAIN:6180/StreamServices. Or without the domain if you can omit it: http://localhost:6180/StreamService.

0 Kudos
JeremyMullins1
New Contributor III

I tried both of those ways and it didn't make a difference. I also included the "Update Interval" into the output and that didn't make a difference either. I apologize for my naivety but I appreciate you being patient with me. Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
ThomasPaschke
New Contributor III

I would recommend you to walk through the WebSocket tutorial to understand WebSockets and StreamLayer in more detail.

The StreamLayer is basically a JavaScript client which is connecting to a WebSocket to receive JSON features and render them in the client. Walking through the tutorial will help you to understand that concept and shows you how to connect to a WebSocket endpoint, since this is for some reason not working. Please note that the WebApp client that comes with the tutorial is a developer sample only and works just with the tutorial data. If you have any changes to the tutorial data the client might not be able to render the features and would need to be modified.

I hope the WebSocket tutorial will help.

JeremyMullins1
New Contributor III

As always, Thomas, you have been a fantastic help. I will complete the Websocket Tutorial and will update this post as soon as I have an answer or another question.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos