Lightning - Initial Strike/No Lightning After 10 Minute Notifications

06-11-2019 08:47 AM
AdamRepsher
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks for reading.  I am struggling to wrap my brain around this.  I have a lightning strike service.  I need to notify a team of tower workers of any lightning activity within a 10 mile radius of their work site and then notify them when 10 minutes have passed with NO lightning activity.

I already have my 10 mile #geofence for each tower and a #geofilter in my service.  Last year, I just ended this with a #geotagger and an email - text output to send a text message to the workers.  Their phones blew up with every lightning strike within a ten mile radius.  They were not happy with me.

This time, I want to notify them of the first lightning strike and only notify them again when 10 minutes has elapsed since the last lightning event within 10 miles.  Since lightning strikes are unique, I would just add a Track_ID of the Tower Name from the geotagger to keep the detection unique to any GeoFence that may have lightning activity.

I'm going to try a few ideas and come back here later to see if anyone has any suggestions.  I need to figure out if the Incident Detector sends a message after the time limit expires.  I have only used the Track Gap Detector, but that does the opposite of what I need this to do.  I am afraid that I will use lots of resources if I use the TGD for this, as I will be keeping a gap open for long periods of time just to say 10 minutes have elapsed....

Thanks for any input!

--Adam

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MortenGrude
Esri Contributor

@arepster you could use the event volume prosessor. This will not let any messages through within your set value for 10min. 

Iam using that by my selves with a lightningstrike warning geovent service. 

When a lightning strike within a geofence, (filter) i geotag the type or name of the geofence and then send it through the event volume processor. 

AdamRepsher

Thank you Morten Grude‌.  I haven't heard of this processor.  I'll look for it.

--Adam

0 Kudos
AdamRepsher

Jake Skinner‌ - maybe you could throw your two cents in here...

I looked the Event Volume Controller Processor up and found that I must upgrade to 10.7 to get it.  One more reason to get my butt in gear.

However, I am not sure that I can use this by itself for my process. 

• I need to know when the first event strikes within the GeoFence - to send out the first alert message (ex:  "Lightning has been detected within 10 miles of the CENT01 tower.  You will be notified again when 10 minutes have passed without another lightning strike within 10 miles of CENT01.") It appears that the first event will pass and I can use it for the email/text alert message.  I do not see in the instructions if there is a tag added by the processor to tell if it is the opening event, or a closing of the event due to no events in 10 minutes....
  • I then need to notify of when 10 minutes has gone by within the GeoFence without another lightning strike.  In other words, I need to re-start the timer after each lightning strike within the GeoFence until I get NO lightning strikes within the GeoFence for 10 minutes.  That message would look like: "No lightning has been detected within 10 miles of CENT01 for the last 10 minutes" indicating that it would be OK to begin work again.

If the processor simply lets the first event through, waits for 10 minutes, and then lets another one through, this would just tell me that there may or not have been a continuous stream of lightning strikes within any given GeoFence for the last 10 minutes.  

Does it notify when the processor closes due to the time restriction?

I am trying to look at this processor in combination with a few others that I know about - but am struggling to find a solution.

--Adam

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hey Adam,

Here's how I believe you can do this:

1.  First, you will want to write the lightning strikes to a local feature service if their not already.  For example, if you are polling a service from NOAA for lightning strikes, set up GeoEvent to write this to a feature service in your ArcGIS Server instance.  Make sure this feature service has editor tracking enabled.  You will want to specify to delete features every 10 mins in the GeoEvent Output and choose the editor tracking LastUpdated field.  Ex:

2.  Then, set up this service as a Synchronized GeoFence:

In this example, the service is polled every 30 seconds and if there are features, it will create a geofence.

3.  Create an Input to poll your Tower Buffer Areas.  Be sure to specify a TRACK_ID in the GeoEvent Definition for this input.

4.  Create a GeoEvent service like the following:

The Incident Detector is set up to check if any tower area contains a lightning strike:

The Expiry Time is set to a really high value, because we don't want the incident to close when there could be lightning strikes.

5.  I have two Filters added called Started and Ended.  These use the incident GeoEvent Definition and check if the status field is either Started or Ended.  Ex:

When a lightning strike is found within the tower area the status will be Started.  You will set an e-mail output from this Filter to alert the staff there has been a lightning strike detected.

When there are no lightning strikes detected within the tower area the status will be changed to Ended.  You will create another e-mail output from this Filter to alert the staff all is clear.  Remember, we have the lightning strikes being deleted every 10 mins from the feature service.  When they are deleted, the synchronized geofence will update accordingly.

Hopefully this makes sense.

AdamRepsher

Hi Jake Skinner‌,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I am going to try this.  Just one thing - The initial "Lightning Strikes" feature service you speak of is POINT, right?

Not sure what NOAA offers for lightning strikes individually - I just know that they have the Lightning Strike Density service.  I use the ENTLN feed (paid) that provides points.

--Adam

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The initial "Lightning Strikes" feature service you speak of is POINT, right?

Yes, this a point service.

0 Kudos
MortenGrude
Esri Contributor

Adam Repsher‌ The Event Volume processor for Geoevent is also found for 10.6.1 and earlier Versions on GIt hub. defense-solutions-proofs-of-concept/geoevent-components/solutions-geoevent/processors/eventVolumeCon... 
Using this will solve Your first task . Sending an email based om Lightning entering Your geofence. This is how we handler Our alerting today.  I have also done som filtering by owner of the geofence so iam able to send an email/sms to each leader of safety. For each Tower. (When a geoefence is created the leader of add his/hers email/phone number in the poligon feature  and the email/SMS output Connector is handling and sending to {email} and {phonenumber} )
For the second task - Sending an alert after 10min.  I would have used poll an feature or poll a json using arcgis server rest end point adding a Query on the layer With an sql  timestamp < 10 min and Return Count. add a  filter where you "listen" for Count = 0 Then an sms or email will be sent .  Persuming you already add the strikes to a database or STDBS. 

AdamRepsher

Thank you . I need to update GeoEvent because of another issue anyway, so I will try this in another environment after the upgrade is complete.

0 Kudos