How to get the coordinate of the mobile device ? (GPS motorola).

02-25-2014 11:52 PM
DIALLOAbdoulaye
New Contributor II
Hello Everyone ,
i Hope that i am in the right place
That is my first expérience with the Tracking Application especially with arcgis Geoevent Processor
in my case i have to build an application with arcgis Geoevent processor  to locate someone who travels with a mobile device (Gps Motorola).
In Fact my Question is :how to get a coordinate of the mobile (Gps) do i need an application inside the Device or not ?
wich protocole do i have to use to comunicate the coordinate of the mobile device?
i am using arcgis APi for silverlight and arcgis Geoevent processor
Any help or orientation will be grateful for me beacause i am new.

thanks in advance
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RJSunderman
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello Diallo -

You are on the right track. Yes, you will need some sort of application running on the mobile device to broadcast the device's position over a communication channel / protocol (e.g. TCP, UDP, HTTP ...) which GeoEvent Processor can monitor to receive the data. Alternatively you could have an application running on the mobile device which posts JSON to a GeoEvent Processor Input connector's REST endpoint ... or establish a REST endpoint the GeoEvent Processor could poll to retrieve position information from the mobile device. These are three typical ways to get event data into GeoEvent Processor.

You might want to take a look at the NMEA" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=1717c2f7fe5b497491234ce... Adapter tutorial we have available on our Product" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.arcgis.com/home/group.html?owner=GeoEventTeam&tit... Gallery. While this tutorial is probably not applicable to your GPS enabled Motorola device, reading through the tutorial may provide some clarity for you with regard to how GeoEvent Processor is used to receive data feeds from mobile devices which are broadcasting information over TCP / UDP.

You might also want to take a look at the forum thread [url=http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/95071-esri-receive-features-rest-in]esri-receive-features-rest-in[/...] which describes one of the alternatives I mention above - posting JSON to an Input's REST endpoint.

If developing a web application using the Silverlight API doesn't provide you a ready solution, you might consider leveraging one of the native SDKs (Java, Android, iOS, WPF, ...) to develop a Runtime application which can broadcast the device's position information.

Hope this information helps -
RJ
0 Kudos
DIALLOAbdoulaye
New Contributor II
Hi RJ Sunderman
Thanks a lot ,your explanation is very clear
I'll check the links you provided I think it will help me to understand
Thank you  again for the orientation
0 Kudos
DIALLOAbdoulaye
New Contributor II
as you well said ,the NMEA Adapter tutorial will not applicable for my GPS because my Motorala GPS has Windows CE
Does anyone know where  I can  find a sample tour Connector for Windows CE
thank you for any orientation
0 Kudos