GeoEvent Simulator: Connection error

01-20-2015 09:49 AM
ShaningYu
Frequent Contributor

I tried the GeoEvent Simulator by referring to ESRI tutorials Module 1.  I loaded the file, and did the settings per the procedure.  When I click the Connect icon (on the top-right of the panel, w/ the default value of 5565), the Connection Error message box pops out: 'Failed to connect to localhost: 5655.  No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:5655.'   The 127.0.0.1 here is NOT the one the GeoEvent Extension installed.  What should I do to get rid of this error.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarkBramer
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Shaning,

127.0.0.1 is what is known as the "loopback", and is the same as "localhost", both of which mean the computer your working on.  So if your computer has a "real" IP of 10.59.66.102, you could use any one of these three items in the "Server" box in the GeoEvent Simulator: 127.0.0.1, localhost, or 10.59.66.102. 

If GeoEvent is installed on a different machine, then for "Server", you must enter the IP or machine name of the machine on which GeoEvent is installed.

No matter which is the case, you must have created a TCP input in GeoEvent Manager ("Receive Text from a TCP Socket") on the GeoEvent machine.  This TCP input is what the GeoEvent Simulator is trying to connect to.  If there is no TCP input running on the machine and port you specify in the Simulator, you will receive the error you are seeing.

Mark

khairulamri
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mark,

Thank you, your advice is very helpful for me. I got the same error with shaning. the root cause is i didn't start tcp input that pointing to geoevent simulator port. once tcp input started, the simulator working as well. thanks

NicolasGIS
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @khairulamri ,

Many thanks for your message ! Very helpful.

Indeed, following the tutorial very closely, I ended up on this thread for the same reason and the step you mention seems to be missing. 

0 Kudos