Geoevent Field Calculator Processor SUM Function

06-12-2018 05:58 AM
Dunn_Jeremy
New Contributor III

Good Afternoon

Is there a SUM function in the Field Calculator Processor ? I am trying to sum all the values in a field and write this to a new field. Which I then use.

There are a plethora of functions in the Field Calculator Processor, but no SUM function. Is this actually the case  ?

Regards. 

Jeremy. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlexanderBrown5
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Jeremy,

You can certainly sum values in fields:

Processors—Real-time Data Feeds and Sensors (10.6) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Operators and functions supported by Field Calculator

OperationOperatorExample

Addition

+
Odom1 + Odom2

Expression adds the numeric values from the fields Odom1 and Odom2 to produce a simple summation. String concatenation (for example, "Hello" + "World") is also supported.

If you have multiple values in one field, you can parse these out using regular expressions into separate fields.  You can then sum those values together.

If you post some sample data, I would be able to make a better recommendation.

~Alex

Dunn_Jeremy
New Contributor III

Hi Alex

thanks for getting back to me. 

If you had a field of values say 

Val

and you used the field calculator processor to sum these values are you suggesting to use the expression Val + Val + Val ? The issue is I won't know the number of values there are in the field until it is written so I need to be able to do something like SUM(Val) and write this to a new field Val_SUM. I then use this field. I'm surprised this function is not in the processor. 

Regards.

Jeremy

0 Kudos
Dunn_Jeremy
New Contributor III

Hi Alex,

I'm alittle unsure what you mean when you say "parse out" the values in the field. Are you suggesting to put each value in the field "Val" into seperate fields say "Val1", "Val2" , "Val3" etc...then use field calculator to add them ? This seems abit convoluted to me. Why can't you just Sum the values in a single field and write it to a new field ? 

Regards. 

Jeremy. 

0 Kudos