Select to view content in your preferred language

Linked Revit Files

08-17-2023 11:39 PM
GN8_FC
by
Emerging Contributor

Can GeoBIM Process linked Revit Files? And When preprocessing for GeoBIM Can ArcGIS Process linked Revit Files? And even one more: How are Revit Files with Linked CAD Files e.g. Civil-DWGs handeled?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ACheuvront
Esri Contributor

The only processing by GeoBIM is done using the Locate Engineering Documents or Locate Issues. Those tools calculate the bounding box of the geometry but ignores all linked files and annotation objects such as elevation markers or level lines.

Any valid linked file would have to also exist in the Autodesk cloud project so it would get processed and a separate document boundary created for it. Including the linked files would lead to double counting the extent, and in some cases, vastly over inflate the size of the document boundary.

Linked Civil 3D files are handled the same way as linked Revit models.

I don't understand the question of "When preprocessing for GeoBIM Can ArcGIS Process linked Revit Files?". Do you mean loading the Revit model in ArcGIS Pro to create a building scene layer?

GN8_FC
by
Emerging Contributor

Thanks for clarification. And yes i refer to adding the Revit model in ArcGIS Pro to create a building scene" in the last part of my question.

0 Kudos
ACheuvront
Esri Contributor

I am not part of the ArcGIS Pro team but the testing I have done shows that linked files are not included in the import to ArcGIS Pro. I have tried this with linked Revit models and linked Civil 3D files. Only the native Revit objects are imported.

Aaron Cheuvront | Product Engineer - ArcGIS GeoBIM
Esri

DA_BIM-GIS
Esri Contributor

Hello @GN8_FC 

For handling linked digital models you have two approaches

1. Bind the models ( depending of the complexity of the models it will create a huge revit file, which I will not recommend) 

2. follow this workflow. https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-pro/aec/combine-multiple-digital-models-into-a-sing...

David

0 Kudos