Select to view content in your preferred language

Link to several Objects

08-24-2023 03:56 AM
GN8_FC
by
Emerging Contributor

I need to link several objects of my scene layer in one go with just one detail drawing (Better Layout) on the ACC. Is this achievalble? And if so how? Creating a couple houndret manual links is not a real option. 🙂 (If possible is there a how to out there? )

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ACheuvront
Esri Contributor

I don't believe we have any resources online describing how to create links in this way. I think that is a great idea for a new blog post.

One way to bulk create feature links without writing any code would be to create a query of the features you want to link and export that data to a csv file. This will give you all of the feature IDs needed later. You can then use Excel to copy the feature link definition for every feature ID. Save the new link definitions as a csv and append that data to the links table. This would need to be done for each layer you want to create links on.

Another option would be to use ArcGIS Pro with the calculate field capability or create a model builder tool. There are many ways to accomplish this with model builder.

The easiest way to get the information for the link definition is to create a feature link in GeoBIM and view the Links table. The new link will have the information for which BIM360/ACC account, project, and document the GIS feature is linked to. If you want to link lots of GIS feature to the same Autodesk document, the feature definition would be the same for all links. You could also get the link definition information from the BIM360/ACC site but that can be a little difficult to identify from the url.

The item, resource, and feature IDs refer to which GIS feature you want the link on. The Item ID can be found in the url of the feature service where the feature layers are stored. The resource ID refers to the layer ID, and the feature ID is the object ID of the feature to be linked (this would be the list of object ids exported based on a query mentioned earlier).

Example structure of ArcGIS Online feature layer and contents:
   - Feature service (Item ID - can be found in the url when viewing the item details)
      - layer 1 (Resource ID - first layer ID is 0)
         - object 1 (Feature ID - this is the object ID)
         - object 2 (Feature ID - this is the object ID)

Aaron Cheuvront | Product Engineer - ArcGIS GeoBIM
Esri

Aaron Cheuvront | Sr. Product Engineer - ArcGIS GeoBIM
Esri
0 Kudos