Select to view content in your preferred language

Downloading REVIT File from BIM Cloud Connection as Building Layer

Jump to solution
08-15-2023 03:53 AM
jantolihao
Occasional Contributor

Hello, everyone!

I have made a connection to ACC/BIM360 in ArcGIS Pro. When I dragged a revit file in my BIM Cloud Connection and dropped it in the map viewer, it started downloading the revit file as building layer and saved it in my local. Using the downloaded building layer from my revit file, I was able to create a building scene layer (SLPK). This SLPK file was added as item in ArcGIS Online.

My clarifications are:

1. After dragging and dropping my revit file in the map viewer, thus, creating a building layer, is this building layer a copy already and is completely disconnected from my ACC/BIM360 Connection?

2. Related to Question #1: If disconnected, do I need to repeat the process (that is, drag and drop my revit file again in the map viewer and recreate a building layer before creating again a building scene layer (SLPK) and add it again as item in ArcGIS Online) to update my SLPK already added in my ArcGIS Online if there is an update in my revit file in my ACC/BIM360?

3. Related to Question #2: If yes, is there a way not to repeat the process and automatically update my SLPK file which is I will also be using in the Links page in ArcGIS GeoBIM to link my building features in Web Scene to my project documents in my ACC/BIM360?

For those who have thoughts on this, I appreciate any hints or ideas. Thank you very much.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ACheuvront
Esri Contributor

1. Dragging and dropping a Revit file from the BIM Cloud Connector creates a local copy that is disconnected from the Autodesk Cloud. The file can be found in your local project folder. It is the copy that gets added to ArcGIS Pro. The manifest file contains the information about the cloud location but the local file is a point-in-time copy. Once the local file exists you can right click and select Refresh From Source to update the local file with the latest changes from the BIM Cloud Connection.

2. You can use the Refresh From Source on the local file to update it but a new SLPK file will need to be created then uploaded to ArcGIS Online.

3. The only way to automate the process (that I know of) would be to write a Python script

Aaron Cheuvront | Product Engineer - ArcGIS GeoBIM
Esri

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ACheuvront
Esri Contributor

1. Dragging and dropping a Revit file from the BIM Cloud Connector creates a local copy that is disconnected from the Autodesk Cloud. The file can be found in your local project folder. It is the copy that gets added to ArcGIS Pro. The manifest file contains the information about the cloud location but the local file is a point-in-time copy. Once the local file exists you can right click and select Refresh From Source to update the local file with the latest changes from the BIM Cloud Connection.

2. You can use the Refresh From Source on the local file to update it but a new SLPK file will need to be created then uploaded to ArcGIS Online.

3. The only way to automate the process (that I know of) would be to write a Python script

Aaron Cheuvront | Product Engineer - ArcGIS GeoBIM
Esri

AdrianHughes_ESRIUK
Esri Contributor

Hi Aaron

Is it possible to access the 'refresh from source' action with python? Could you share an example or point me in the right direction?

@ACheuvront 

Thanks

Adrian

0 Kudos
CiciXiao
Esri Contributor

Unfortunately, we don't have it exposed to Python.

Cici Xiao| Product Engineer - CAD/BIM

jantolihao
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, @ACheuvront. This is noted.

0 Kudos