Select to view content in your preferred language

Why do Project files become corrupted?

06-15-2011 06:56 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: dcarpenter@hydro.mb.ca

I am posting this out of curiosity incase others have experienced the error: "Invalid or corrupted project file" when opening an ArcGIS Mobile 10 project. 

We have seen this happen a dozen or so times over the last few months of use with no apparent trend or reason.  The user in 99% of cases simply closes ArcGIS Mobile and then when they reopen the next day the project is corrupt.  Just this week a co-worker testing some GPS splitter software in the office has had 3 of these in the last 4 days or so, one can likely be attributed to a crash but the rest we have no idea what happened.

In all cases the contents of the AMP file essentially get deleted, the only remaining information is the last extent of the user (see attached).  All the information related to the View and Edit forms gets removed.  Is this a known issue and can anything be done to prevent it from happening?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: timmerspk

I've found corruption occurs if you're storing your project on slow storage e.g. SD card.

I recommend storing NOTHING on the SD card until problems are fixed.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: columbialandtrust

We have the exact same problem but we're using a new Yuma and storing on an internal SSD. This drive should be blazing-fast (unless Trimble is cutting corners on their $4000 tablet), so it seems there should be another explanation. Let's hope this gets esri's attention.
0 Kudos
DavidCarpenter
Occasional Contributor
In our case we are running all our mobile apps on Panasonic Toughbooks (CF-31).  So the projects and data are on the local hard drive.  So in our case as well drive speed or processing power are not an issue.  The issue is still occurring on a totally random basis or at least so it seems.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: AkhilP

I have both laptops and Tablet PCs (Yuma and Panasonic types). All 3 devices experience Project File Corruption.

I am almost certain it has nothing to do with hardware or computer parts or even SD cards.

From my experience the corruption occurs from the following OS Related Issues:
1) OS goes into sleep mode will ArcGIS Mobile is still opened. Then user closes ArcGIS Mobile and then tried to launch ArcGIS Mobile, and an error occurs stating that the project is corrupt.

2) OS goes into hibernation or any form where the OS is not fully running. The users performs that same tasks as above, and gets an error stating that the project is corrupt.

3) User turns off the power of the device while running ArcGIS Mobile, as a quick way to turn of the computer, or crashes, or accidentally holds on the power button. This will cause the project to be corrupt when the user launches ArcGIS Mobile once again.

The solution that seems to work for me is to properly close ArcGIS Mobile before any of the above OS issues occur, except a crash. Make sure your computers do not go into sleep, hibernate or standby during its operation. Modify OS options to allow the computer to always run, to prevent the above changes in state to the OS.

Let us know if you are preventing your corruption issue if you employ this strategy to adjust OS settings and properly close ArcGIS Mobile.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: timmerspk

Yes we have amp project corruption most times when Mobile crashes or someone powers down the device.

We used to get corruption more frequently when we stored on the SD cards.   It would even corrupt every now and then just shutting mobile normally.

Luckily the Nomads rarely crash any more.   I keep a copy of the project in a CAB on the memory card and tell people that's how to fix it.  

It's going to be in our new FAQ.
0 Kudos
AkhilParujanwala
New Contributor III
Hi Peter,

That is exactly that we have in our troubleshooting guide as well. A backup of the project file in which they can easily copy and paste over the corrupted one.

Since I have upgraded to Build 2500, I have noticed less corruption of the project file, which is good.
0 Kudos