Mobile cache extractor

04-28-2011 08:41 AM
SteveRobison
New Contributor
Can someone tell me where I can download a cache extractor for 9.3
I've bee to all the blogs (I think) and read about the "tool" but I just cant seem to get my hands on it to put it to work.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi,

I believe you are referring to the Mobile Cache to Shapefile tool (9.3). This tool extracts selected features from a 9.3 mobile cache to a shapefile. You can find it in the ArcGIS Mobile Gallery on Resource Center site, http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=f58062e439c34b13b3b63f38c5cbb8d7.

There are also tools for 9.2 and 10.0 releases.

Cheers,
Denise
0 Kudos
CiprianLazar
Deactivated User
If you're trying to generate the mobile cache, you can find this tool in ArcToolbox under the Mobile Tools. Its name is Generate Mobile Service Cache.
If you do not have the Mobile Tools in ArcToolbox root, you can manually add it from the System Toolboxes (right click on ArcToolbox -> Add Toolbox -> Toolboxes -> System Toolboxes -> Mobile Tools).
0 Kudos
SteveRobison
New Contributor
Denise
I got the tool, exactly what I was looking for, thanks!
The new problem is, when I select the "export selected features to shape file" I get a new error.
"System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component"
I can get it to work fine on other feature classes (point) but for some reason I get the error on polylines.
Suggestions please
0 Kudos
MikeHargreaves
Emerging Contributor
Ciprian,
The only tools I see in the Mobile Tools is "Create Mobile Map" and "Synchronize Mobile Cache" - I'm also looking for the "Generate Mobile Service Cache" tool...
0 Kudos
CiprianLazar
Deactivated User
Ciprian,
The only tools I see in the Mobile Tools is "Create Mobile Map" and "Synchronize Mobile Cache" - I'm also looking for the "Generate Mobile Service Cache" tool...

If those are the tools you're seeing, than you're using ArcMap/ArcToolbox 10. Using the "Create Mobile Map" you can generate a mobile cache for use with an ArcGIS Mobile 10 app. It takes a map document as argument (mxd).
If you want to generate a cache that you can use on an ArcGIS Mobile 9.3 app, than you have to use ArcMap 9.3. There you will have "Generate Mobile Service Cache" and "Generate Mobile Basemap" tools. The "Generate Mobile Service Cache" will take as argument a map service that has mobile capability and is published with an ArcGIS 9.3 server.
0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
Ciprian, Mike,

The 'Generate Mobile Service Cache' and 'Create Mobile Basemap' tools are available in Mobile Tools toolbox in ArcGIS Desktop 9.3 and 9.3.1 releases only, they are not available in 10 release. The 'Create Mobile Map' and 'Synchronize Mobile Cache' became available in Mobile Tools toolbox with ArcGIS Desktop 10 release.

Thanks,
Denise
0 Kudos
BradJeffares
Emerging Contributor
Ciprian, Mike,

The 'Generate Mobile Service Cache' and 'Create Mobile Basemap' tools are available in Mobile Tools toolbox in ArcGIS Desktop 9.3 and 9.3.1 releases only, they are not available in 10 release. The 'Create Mobile Map' and 'Synchronize Mobile Cache' became available in Mobile Tools toolbox with ArcGIS Desktop 10 release.

Thanks,
Denise

Why would they take away the Generate Mobile Service Cache? I dont want to create a mobile map from an MXD. I want to extract a cache from a mobile service for a mobile app. How can I do this now?
0 Kudos
AkhilParujanwala
Regular Contributor
Using ArcGIS 10 you can use the Mobile GP tool to create a MobileCache of the vector layers you want to bring into your mobile application.

Just use the Create Mobile Map. Browse to the location you will see an AMP file, then a folder that says MobileCache, you can simply copy and paste that MobileCache to your devices and read that into your Mobile App.

I have a designated folder for all mobile maps that clients may want to add to the mobile application.
0 Kudos
BradJeffares
Emerging Contributor
Yes but that creates a mobile cache from an MXD not a mobile service.
0 Kudos