Select to view content in your preferred language

how to deploy from ArcGIS Desktop to Windows GPS unit?

04-11-2012 08:20 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: alnesbit

Hello all,

I watched the 3 videos on ArcGIS Mobile Videos resource center and they were helpful but now I'm completely stuck. I have created a Mobile cache using ArcToolbox and saved it to C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Local\ESRI\ArcGIS Mobile. In the video she said I have to save it there because it's the default folder. Then I copied those files to my Ashtech MobileMapper 10 unit My Documents\ArcGIS Mobile. Then when I click on ArcGIS Mobile 10 on my GPS unit, it just says "Download From?" and either "ArcGIS.com" or "ArcGIS Server" are my 2 options.

So then I thought I have to make a map first using Mobile Project Center on my computer. So I opened that and I can't add my Mobile Cache from C:\Users\NAME\AppData because "AppData" folder doesn't show up and I don't see a way to Unhide it. So I started over with a new Mobile Cache which I saved to C:\Users\NAME\Documents\ArcGIS Mobile\Project Folder. Then I was able to create a map in Mobile Project Center and save it to the same folder as my cache: C:\Users\NAME\Documents\ArcGIS Mobile\Project Folder.

I opened ArcGIS Mobile on my computer and went to settings and added Additional Project Folders "C:\Users\NAME\Documents\ArcGIS Mobile\Project Folder". Then I click OK and it takes me back to "Download Project" or "Change Settings" and at the top it says "No projects available"

How in the world do you get this thing to work!?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Talked to a very nice guy at ESRI tech support and he helped me out. It is now working. At 10.1 we won't have this crazy problem.

Cheers,
0 Kudos
AndreaBaxley
Emerging Contributor
I started reading your post about all the problems you were having with Mobile and I'm running into exactly the same issues! What is the solution??
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I started reading your post about all the problems you were having with Mobile and I'm running into exactly the same issues! What is the solution??

He sent me a word document that outlined the crazy steps you have to take in 10 to get it to work. I will try to attach. Hope ESRI doesn't mind me sharing. It seems like a highly guarded secret, LOL!
0 Kudos
AndreaBaxley
Emerging Contributor
Success!! Thank you!
0 Kudos