How to create a Route on a Mobile Device not connected to the ArcGIS Server?

12-14-2010 03:15 AM
dgesridgesri
Occasional Contributor II
Greetings,

I`m using a custom mobile application in a Mobile Device with GPS System and trying to create a route from a start point to end point. This job is accomplished whenever the mobile device is connected with the ArcGIS server that contains the ArcGIS Mobile Service and the Network Analyst Extension.

Is there any way (even if custom code is required) to create this route while my mobile device is not connected with the ArcGIS Server in the main office?

Any idea is welcome and will be very appreciated...
Thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
AkhilParujanwala
New Contributor III
I am not 100% sure about what you are trying to do, but lets see if I can help.

There are 2 scenarios, connected to the ArcGIS server and Not connected.

1) So when you are connected to the server, your custom mobile device is able to create a route from point A to point B? How did you do this? How is it working? Why does it need to be connected to the server?

2) Now you want to create a route in a disconnected environment, with no connection to the server. Once again, I believe it depends on the layers, why do you need to be connected to the server to do this?

In other words if you create a cache of the data you are using, then your mobile device should be able to perform the given task.

The problem I am having trying to understand is how is your code generating a route (Yes I know network analyst) and why does it need to be connected to the server if you can cache the data locally and query that instead.

Hopefully this helps in some way.

Cheers,

Akhil P.
0 Kudos
dgesridgesri
Occasional Contributor II
Dear Mr. AkhilP..

I was informed that the only way to provide Routing Capability on a Mobile Application using ArcGIS Mobile is to be connected to ArcGIS Server. This is because we need Network Analyst Extension that is not supported in Arcgis Mobile even if we have network dataset cached in the Mobile Device.

But the only way to perform Routing task is to process the analysis on the Server and parse the result to the Arcgis Mobile through online ArcGIS Service.

Is the preceding Info true, or is there any sample code that we can use to perform Routing tasks on ArcGIS mobile that is not connected to the server.

I`m aware that we can use ArcGIS Engine API to do this, but we need to have a Network Analyst Extension and ArcGIS Engine license on each Mobile Device.

Please advise how to accomplish this task...
0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
Although I am not clear on the mobile device you are creating this mobile project, I want to ask if you are familiar with the ArcGIS Mobile 10 Code Samples? One sample that might be of interest is titled Navigation Extension for ArcGIS Mobile tablet application 10.0
http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=400603a90e024f68a267d0ed5e482896
0 Kudos
AkhilParujanwala
New Contributor III
Ok I understand what you are saying, I have seen videos showing ESRI using that sample Denise has is pointing to you. I don't know if you need to be connected to the server or not for that.

I hope that sample helps.

Good Luck!
0 Kudos