Select to view content in your preferred language

Can't get any layers except ArcGISonline to appear as base maps!

12-15-2010 10:42 AM
MikeMeeks
Occasional Contributor
I'm trying without any luck to get ANY layers to show up as Operational or Base Map using Mobile Project Center.  I have Cached Services that I use as BaseMaps in my .net Web applications just fine along with operational services.  All these services were created with the Mobile Data operations capability checked.  Using Mobile Project Center, I can't seem to get any Services to show up and when I navigate to the conf.xml file in the Cached folder, the system does not find any cache.  When I manually type the folder/conf.xml combination, it accepts the layer but gives me a red ! stating Error: Not a valid conf.xml file.

I called ESRI and the analyst had no clue using a screen sharing session how to use Mobile Project Center. 

Any help would be appreciated.  I can't believe it is this hard to have the system recognize my Services & Caches!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
AkhilParujanwala
Regular Contributor
Hi, uhm I have posted somewhere here how to do properly make a service for an operational layer, you may want to read through some of the threads, but here is a quick run through.

1) Make shapefile
2) Import shapefile into SDE, making it a FeatureClass
3) Right click on it add GlobalIDs, right click - Register as Versioned
4) Open ArcMap, add feature class and then in the data frame properties click on Data Frame tab, set a custom extent.
5) Save map, now you should be good to make a mobile service
6) Right click on mxd and publish to server
7) Click on Mobile Data Access
😎 If successful open Project Center, Add, enter the name of your server for example if you are on the server itself, type the name of the server "developer/arcgis", if you are on the network you can use the same as above, if you are going to mobile devices connected to the internet but not to the network directly you will need a fully qualified domain name.
9) Click on the refresh symbol, add your service and your done.

If you don't see your service in ArcCatalog, then you won't see it in MPC, I never had to modify a conf file or anything like that..

If you have followed these instruction and you are still having problems, let me know.

Regarding a cached basemap service, well I personally haven't done this yet, but my co-worker knows how to make one, and I will do this in the future.

I hope this helps.
0 Kudos