Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcMobile error Getting Data

04-06-2011 07:22 AM
Christopher_P_Enright
Deactivated User
When I try to update the data in one of my projects I receive the error "Name Resolution Failure" has anyone seen this before?
0 Kudos
8 Replies
ChristopherOlsen
Frequent Contributor
Are you using Mobile 9.3.1 or 10?  Is there anything that has changed with the data or schema in SDE since you created the mobile project?
0 Kudos
Christopher_P_Enright
Deactivated User
Are you using Mobile 9.3.1 or 10?  Is there anything that has changed with the data or schema in SDE since you created the mobile project?

We are using 10. This is a new project I had create when our DBA updated our test enviroment data, I pretting sure it hasn't changed again.
0 Kudos
JeffAzevedo
Deactivated User
Are you using a map cache or services?

If you bring the project back to Mobile Project Center do you see any errors popping up? It doesn't take much to throw the map cache off, so I much prefer using services. Also if you have versioned data that may produce this error. My experience with versioned data produced errors ranging from "unknown", "protocol error" to "Name Resolution Failure".
0 Kudos
Christopher_P_Enright
Deactivated User
we are using versioned sde services. is there a way to buy pass these errors?
0 Kudos
JeffAzevedo
Deactivated User
I eventually created a new database of unversioned data and the problems have gone away.

You might try and export to a File GDB and see if it works as intended. If it does, you can likely chalk it up to the versioning. Also, do you have any kind of raster photos being stored? The photos really don't like to be part of any versioned data.
0 Kudos
Christopher_P_Enright
Deactivated User
I did try a replicated file geodatabase to start (in a static non-service state) When did this, the errors were more frequent. After we switched to sde services the majority of the errors went away except this & the ones you listed above. Do you think that creating a service off of a File base geodatabase might correct this?

There is currently no imagery in this attempt but it has be set in my  schedule for future testing.

Thanks
0 Kudos
JeffAzevedo
Deactivated User
I also attempted to have a two-way replica, mainly for quality control since our data is coming from a department that doesn't have much GIS experience. I had trouble making this work properly, so I reverted to a single SDE non-versioned, and I also turned off archiving. (we have a software backup that works as well as archiving)

If you have access for the SOC, your data has Global IDs and you are not trying to version the data, I would expect this to work. The posting of data from Mobile is a first come first serve affair, which is a reason I would much prefer the versioned data to work. Are you using the AGM_XXX fields to log your users?

It's possible this is a IIS issue. (Doubtful but it's worth a look)
Check this link: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/12596-Can-t-save-mobile-project-to-IIS-web-server?p=72493#post72493
Scroll to the bottom of the post, and you might find something relevant to your web setup that could cause this error.
0 Kudos
Christopher_P_Enright
Deactivated User
I actually think I figured it out. I seams to be related to the WI-FI card on my machine. when I plug in into the LAN or through air card the errors go away.

thanks for your help

I also attempted to have a two-way replica, mainly for quality control since our data is coming from a department that doesn't have much GIS experience. I had trouble making this work properly, so I reverted to a single SDE non-versioned, and I also turned off archiving. (we have a software backup that works as well as archiving)

If you have access for the SOC, your data has Global IDs and you are not trying to version the data, I would expect this to work. The posting of data from Mobile is a first come first serve affair, which is a reason I would much prefer the versioned data to work. Are you using the AGM_XXX fields to log your users?

It's possible this is a IIS issue. (Doubtful but it's worth a look)
Check this link: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/12596-Can-t-save-mobile-project-to-IIS-web-server?p=72493#post72493
Scroll to the bottom of the post, and you might find something relevant to your web setup that could cause this error.
0 Kudos