ArcGIS Mobile and GPS

05-05-2011 08:58 AM
AngelGonzalez
Occasional Contributor II
I have created an ArcGIS Mobile app using the Mobile Project Center and have deployed it to a laptop. My question is on using a GPS device(I never worked with a GPS device before). From what I read you can use a GPS device that reads satellite data and within the Mobile app (GPS setting & status)  it give you an option of selecting a serial port.  I am guesting that a GPS device is literally attached to your mobile device by the way of a serial port.  But if a laptop comes with built-in GPS does that means that it is already connected to a serial port?

If the laptop does not have GPS can you use a wireless service, in our case Verizon, to do "GPS"  If so how with ESRI ArcGIS Mobile App. The "GPS Setting & Status" section only give you the option to connect to a serial port.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks
0 Kudos
7 Replies
AkhilParujanwala
New Contributor III
GPS communication is Serial Port (COM Port).

If your tablet pc or Laptop has an internal GPS, then your GPS COM port is likely Com2.

In your ArcGIS Mobile application, just click on Connect to GPS, and the code will auto detect your GPS and it will work.

You should go outside with your tablet pc or laptop, so that your GPS picks up satellites.
You can also use an built-in (installed) GPS application on your laptop if a piece of software was installed on your laptop to also show how many satellites are connected to you.

In terms of using an another or external GPS unit this is possible. From my experience, using an external Trimble ProXH, you have to disable the internal GPS. To do this you go to device manage and disable COM2.

Make the bluetooth connection to the external GPS, and then in ArcGIS Mobile just click on connect to GPS and it will automatically connect to the external GPS.

For all other types of external GPS it would be of a similar process, make a connection to the GPS, and let ArcGIS Mobile auto find the COM port.

You can use a program called Tera Term, to open a COM port to see the NMEA gps strings coming to the port. If you see it, then ArcGIS Mobile can connect to it and use it apart of the application.

If you have any more questions regarding it please let me know.
0 Kudos
AngelGonzalez
AkhilP,

Thanks for the info. This gives me a good heads up on using GPS.  Have you ever used a wireless service (Verizon) to get GPS data.  We are looking at laptops for inspectors out in the field and some have GPS while others do not but they will have wireless connectivity out in the field.

Thanks
0 Kudos
AkhilParujanwala
New Contributor III
Technically speaking yes I have used a cellular connection (cell towers) to have GPS signal. This is something we are not supporting fully in our application because we have an internal GPS, external GPS and a cellular GPS.

The ceullular GPS is somtheing we don't want to use, and in my case it falls under COM4. Which we have disabled in device manager so that we don't ever mistakenly use that COM.

From my tests, COM4 could work, I have managed to get NMEA strings from it, but I haven't fully tested it, nor do I know the accuracy of it.

In addition, my cellular gps is located inside my tablet pc, which can only be activated if a sim card is placed inside if my memory serves me correct. I think I can still attempt to read from COM4 but there would be a problems since I don't have a sim card inside my tablet pc.

How is your verizon cellular GPS going to be connected to your laptop/computer?
0 Kudos
AngelGonzalez
We are looking at a Verizon usb broadband modem that the user needs to attached to their laptop. From the specs I was given the device (UMW190) does not include built in GPS.

Can a cellular connection, without builtin GPS work?

Thanks
0 Kudos
AkhilParujanwala
New Contributor III
Your question is outside of my knowledge.

You are best to ask Verizon, about this particular modem, and ask does it somehow triangulate with Satellites to provide GPS information?

Does it output the strings using NMEA standard?

What COM port does the NMEA strings go to?

If those answers are all good, and you know the port number, ArcGIS Mobile will be able to connect to it and give you GPS information.

You will also want to ask them what is the accuracy of the GPS unit.
0 Kudos
MelindaFrost
Occasional Contributor
If you are looking for a GPS emulator there are some options out there.
For free you can use Virtual Serial Ports Emulator (VSPE) free software to create virtual COM ports. Then use gpsfeed+ free software to create the gps stream.

Another option is GPSGate. It has a 14 day free trial and one license only cost like 50 bucks I think. They advantage of GPSGate is has converters of different type of gps outputs to NMEA. I have used it as a translate in one of my mobile projects.
0 Kudos
AkhilParujanwala
New Contributor III
Thanks for the tips Buddha this is definitely usefull information, I wish I knew this earlier, im using Sailsoft GPS simulator trial version and FlywithCE GPS Simulator.

Cheers!
0 Kudos