Problems configuring SharePoint add-in

11-15-2021 01:25 PM
HeatherPostill
New Contributor II

Hi,

I am a SharePoint Administrator for my tenant, installing the ArcGIS for SharePoint add-in for a client following the instructions here: Configure ArcGIS for SharePoint—ArcGIS for SharePoint | Documentation. I have added the app (version 2021.2.0.1022) from the SharePoint app store and am having trouble with configuring.

According to the instructions for modern SharePoint Online this needs to be tenant scoped. When I select the 'Make this solution available to all sites' option, nothing happens. The app appears listed in the App Catalog and shows no errors (see screenshot), however the app is not deployed to any sites or appear under Site Contents>Add an app.

If I try to add to a single site collection, the app is added and appears in Site Contents, however I cannot click on it to configure. I only have options for 'Details', 'Monitor' and 'Delete'.  I am a tenant admin and also an explicit site collection administrator. I have tested in multiple browsers and multiple tenants with similar results. Any ideas? What am I missing? Thanks.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
CameronMcCormick
Occasional Contributor

Hi Heather,

We are experiencing the same exact thing with our Sharepoint (same version too).  Ours in on a government tenant, so we're not sure if that's what is causing the problems.  We do get to add a "new web part" to a page, but once we get to the step that allows geotagging documents, it fails after waiting a few minutes.
We've tried doing the suggestion about changing the Term Tags on another post, but that didn't seem to make any difference.

Glad we are not alone in having issues 🙂 

0 Kudos
HeatherPostill
New Contributor II

We are in an Education tenant but I've never encountered any restrictions with apps before so think that is an unlikely factor. Oddly enough I installed the ArcGIS Maps Classic from the app store with no problem. I'm not entirely sure what the difference is between the 2 apps. For now my client is testing with the classic add-in.

0 Kudos
RaajRaaj
Esri Contributor

Hi Heather--

I've responded to Cameron's comments with a couple of solutions and let me know if it helps resolve your SP issues too?

The difference between Modern and Classic is, with Modern we use Sharepoint's SPFx framework and the look and feel/UI are in-sync with Sharepoint's own Modern experience. Moreover, we will be introducing all new features in Modern going forward.

Please let me know if you are able to get it working with the solutions I have posted in my response above?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
HeatherPostill
New Contributor II

I think my issue is slightly different than Cameron's. I can't even get that far to finish the install and configure with the modern app. 

When I select the 'Make this solution available to all sites' option, nothing happens. The app appears listed in my App Catalog and shows no errors (see screenshot above), however the app is not deployed to any sites or appear under Site Contents>Add an app so no one can add it.

If I try to add to a single site collection, the app is added and appears in Site Contents, however I cannot click on it to get to the configuration page. Clicking on the app has no action. If I look at the ellipses, I only have options for 'Details', 'Monitor' and 'Delete'.

I saw other earlier posts in this community with the same issue and the guidance was to make sure you were a site collection admin. I am a site collection admin and still nothing. This behaviour is with the modern app only. I had no problem installing and configuring the classic maps app.

0 Kudos
RaajRaaj
Esri Contributor

Hi Cameron--

Thanks for posting you comments. I have a couple of questions,

1. When you say that it fails, do you mean you see the spinning wheel but it doesn't seem the find your document libraries? And do you see an error message similar to the one posted in the below link?

Link:  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-for-sharepoint-questions/you-need-authorization-to-access-and-m...

2. After following the steps provided in the above link to resolve the issue, if you are still unable to geotag documents, could you let me know if you are using your site's home page to geotag documents? If so, we are aware of a bug associated with geotagging or "Add from Sharepoint" issue when the ArcGIS Maps web part is added to the home page. We are currently working on releasing a patch and we hope to have an update in the next few days. 

Let me know if you have any questions.

AndrewRitchie_CoL
New Contributor III

Hi Heather, 

Were you able to get any further with this at all?

We have been able to add the App to a site collection, but also only have options for Details, Monitor and Delete. We cannot get to the app configuration anywhere

HeatherPostill
New Contributor II

Nope. Never got the modern add-in to work. Since this was primarily for evaluation, I didn't bother following up. I did install the original/classic version which seemed to install fine. But I'm still waiting for my user to test and see if it works as expected.

AndrewRitchie_CoL
New Contributor III

Thanks Heather

I've now found that I can log in directly through the webpart - but only if I'm a Site Collection Admin. If I'm not an admin, it just logs me in as 'guest' and we don't get access to our AGOL resources.

But this is directly through the webpart - still no sign of the actual Admin Config that is documented. I've lodged a cased to see if it gets anywhere.

0 Kudos
RaajRaaj
Esri Contributor

Hi Heather,

Can you share more details on where you are getting stuck when configuring the "modern" ArcGIS for Sharepoint (ArcGIS Maps web part)?

0 Kudos