Congressional Districts in Esri Maps for Office

12-01-2015 12:14 PM
TomSmedley
Esri Contributor

I'm a bit frustrated with Esri Maps for Office mapping by Congressional Districts.  The districts (as I understand it) are delineated via FIPS codes- and the corresponding numerals or letters.

STATE     AL

STATEFP     01

CD113FP     6

NAMELSAD     Congressional District 6

So I would think the minimum data fields you would need is STATEFP and CD113FP. 

BUT, when you add your data via Excel and Esri Maps for Office and you select "More..." under Location Type and scroll down to US and Congressional Districts, then add  your data- you are prompted to point to a single column for "Choose the location information columns" and "Select location columns to continue".  So although is says "columns" plural- I don't see how to select more than one... See my line above- you need to ID by state and Cong. Dist.

What am I doing wrong? Or is this just not possible?  I get errors on every row that is to be plotted...Nothing on the map. And I don't see how to fix the errors.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tom,

I was able to get this to work by concatenating the STATEFP and CD113FP fields.  For example, in your example above if you specify '0106' in a field, the congressional district will plot successfully.  I've attached a quick example.

0 Kudos
TomSmedley
Esri Contributor

That's super Jake.  I think we come up with the same solution this afternoon. 

I went in and added the CD113 layer onto my web map and opened the attribute table.  That's where I saw DISTRICTID which did just what you said. It combined the STATE and DISTRICT into one so that column in Esri Maps for Office worked.

Thanks so very much for answering this in a timely fashion. My first time on GeoNet and I'm impressed.

0 Kudos