Location Boundary Type

06-12-2018 05:14 PM

Location Boundary Type

Hi,

Would anybody be able to tell me what the boundaries of Postcode 1, 2 and 4 are based off? Along with Greater Capital City Statistical Areas?

Thanks

Attachments
Comments

Hi Sean -

My name is Josh, I'm the Lead Product Engineer for Microsoft integration products for Esri and your question was forwarded to me. 

I'm doing some asking around to get a good answer to your question, but I'd like to clarify what you're asking so that I ask the right questions internally here. My interpretation is that you're asking what the data source is for the boundaries - is that right? If so, the answer is that the dataset is based on boundaries provided by the Australian government via a private research group. More information about Australian demographic data (used for Infographic cards in the Plus subscription) can be found here:

http://downloads.esri.com/esri_content_doc/dbl/int/Australia_MBR_2016.pdf 

If you are asking something else, please let me know!

Thanks,

Josh 

Hi Josh,

Thanks so much for the quick response, what I am after is the exact

boundary files for the Postcodes1, 2 and 4 along with the Greater Capital

Cities statistical areas which are used in PowerBI because I don't know

what boundaries they run off so I can't get them to work in PowerBI as they

don't match a specific name/number

Sean

Hi Sean,

Let me get in touch with the group internally that has that data. I'm not confident that we're going to be able to legally provide the files that you're asking for (there may also be technical limitations), but we might be able to provide more insight which will help you get to an answer that helps without the actual physical files. I've linked them to this thread so that they can comment directly, but if they don't I'll still get back to you as soon as I hear something back from them.

Josh

Hi Josh,

I don’t need the files I just need to know what they are based off so I can

utilise them.

I can’t find any documentation around what they exactly are.

Sean

Got it - thanks for the clarification! I'm working with the content team right now to try to get an answer to what you're asking here, or at least some doc on it to provide guidance.

Any luck with this?

Cheers,

Sean

Thanks for the reminder - I didn't hear back from the content team. I'll reach out again today.

The only info I got so far is that the boundaries are based on the 2016 Australia data from MB Research (Michael Bauer Research GmbH), released in June 2017. In turn, this is based on data from the Australian government collected in 2012. I'm asking to see if I can get more documentation surrounding the boundaries.

Thanks Josh.

Yeah I took a look at the website to see if I could find anything more

about it but couldn't.

You can send the following image to the content team, the ones underlined

are the ones I am trying to find our more about, just so the question is

super clear.

Cheers,

Sean

I'm not seeing an image attached to the post - not sure what happened there.

That said, I suspect that this layer might help answer your question:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=81d23ced573b4666bd0004c93fd9edfc 

This will show the boundaries on a map to see what each one looks like and shows statistical areas 1 - 4. For more fine grained definitions of the boundaries, the ABS has the best data:

Australian Statistical Geography Standard (ASGS) 

I'm going to also tag Lucy Guerra‌ and Chris Wilcox in this thread so that they can see it, to avoid me relaying things back and forth, or tag others as appropriate.

Version history
Last update:
‎06-12-2018 05:14 PM
Updated by:
Contributors