New to automate - anything to be wary of?

05-30-2023 04:03 PM
elpinguino
Occasional Contributor III

Hi community,

I've just gotten access to Microsoft Automate. I used to set up automations with Make/Integromat.

I've set up a flow so every time an S123 record gets submitted a row in an Excel table gets updated in Sharepoint.

Because I'm new to Microsoft Automate I wondered if there's anything I should be wary of? Like would is there the possibility it will eat up a lot of credits because the layer is always being watched?

Or does anyone have any good videos, templates or resources they recommend for Automate/ESRI users?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
ahargreaves_FW

Token Timeout is presently 10 days. Meaning you need to re-sign in every week. @SeanKMcGinnis is working to extend those.

0 Kudos
SeanKMcGinnis
Esri Contributor

Good day @elpinguino - the only thing you need to be wary of, for the next week or two, is the token timeout in general availability and GCC(low) is 90 days (it was previously 14 days and @ahargreaves_FW  mentioned). The reason I say the next week or two, the most recent release has passed all internal and Microsoft testing and will be promoted to General Availability. With the new release, the refresh token issue has been addressed.

Regarding credit consumption, there are no credits used with webhooks or 'watching' the ayer. The credits being consumed are the same as all other transactions across ArcGIS Online.

For templates, there are many available to help you get started on the ArcGIS Connector for Power Automate details page. You will also be able to review the documentation for the connectors to help you understand what is going on.

Finally - this community is a great place to learn and share questions.

-sean
Sean McGinnis - ArcGIS for Microsoft 365 Product Manager
ahargreaves_FW

Hey Sean,

as this is SAAS will that 90 day version simply be an update that will happen on the cloud side? Or must end users do something? Is there a "token will soon time out" notification or is this a flow we must set up ourselves?

0 Kudos
SeanKMcGinnis
Esri Contributor

All of it will happen on the backend with nothing for you to do. Currently Microsoft does not have monitoring capabilities, so it will still fall onto the flow owner to track the expiration. All things go to plan - you won't have to worry about it as it promotes into the tenant you are working in before the 90 day token expires.

-sean
0 Kudos
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

I just want to clarify, is this next update bringing a specific build up to the 90 days?

Or is the 90 day expiration going away completely? As in it will no longer expire?

0 Kudos
elpinguino

This may be a stupid question, but so that means from the first time I set up a flow and sign in to Survey123/ArcGIS Online in Automate that's when the 90-day token starts, but this is planned to be fixed so I should set a reminder in my calendar 90 days from now just in case?

And I'll know there's an issue/token has expired if I notice the flow has failed?

0 Kudos
SeanKMcGinnis
Esri Contributor

One of the first things to note - the Survey123 connector is managed by a different team and the initial token used to create the flow will time out in 14 days. Please check the Survey123 Community for more details.

Regarding the ArcGIS for Power Automate Connector, you will get notice that the flow has failed. You can set the reminder, but there is an exciting announcement that will be coming out early next week.

-sean
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

I didn't realize the initial connector token for Survey123 times out after 14 days, that explains an issue I had last week. I've never had a timeout issue before but I guess I never signed into it again after building this new one. Interesting, thanks!

elpinguino

How did we all get on with this?

I found a spelling mistake in one of the field names in my excel spreadsheet in sharepoint (which the submitted survey123 writes into), so I updated the spelling. That has caused my flow to not run properly anymore. Not sure if this is related to the token updates discussed in this thread or the latest ESRI update, but Automate can't seem to find the survey, which it could do before the update. All the original parts of the flow other then the mispelling field name updates work fine. This could very well be an issue on my end though as I'm still finding my feet in Automate. Any pointers would be appreciated.

I tried testing in a new flow too.

elpinguino_0-1688972527161.png

0 Kudos