Basic table of county data won't load?!

Jump to solution
07-18-2019 02:04 PM
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

I have a table of county data with just a few columns, name, state, count, rate, etc.  I can't get this to load onto a map.  It starts to load, counts up to 1% and then disappears.  This data came from another staff, who I suspected copy and pasted from something that left some strange formatting.  I saved to tab delimited and brought it back in.  Same issue.

Question 1:  What am I missing?!  This is really plain data!

Question 2:  I'm not getting any errors, just something that doesn't load.  Are errors being logged somewhere I can look up?

Question 3: (Not all that related to this question) Why are the prompts for updating the version of the add-in so inconsistent?  It prompted me earlier to update when I wasn't ready to, but now that I'm having problems, and thinking the update might help, it stopped asking me.  I even rebooted, thinking I could get it to come up again.  I know I can go and get the download, but that is the most user-unfriendly page to navigate and I'm a 30 year ESRI veteran!!!!!!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

I realized that when I updated my add-in from 4.0 to 5.0, I had downloaded and installed the 64 bit version, when I needed the 32 bit. I remedied that by uninstalling the add-in and installing the correct version.  I thought, "Surely that must be it!"  But no. 

I am still not able to create a basic shaded county map from a simple Excel spreadsheet.  I tried a 2nd table that came from a completely different source, thinking the first one was corrupt somehow.  Still no luck.  This 2nd table also had a column for city name, which gave me another for generating some sort of layer on my map.  I was able to successfully map US cities as a set of graduated circle symbols. 

My county column is called County.  I added a field for State.

I have tried using Cell Range as my input and I've tried creating a table out of that same range. 

In an older version of the add-in, creating a table helped instead of using cell ranges, but for this version, still nothing.  I've actually used this add-in a few different times successfully in the past, but it's been a while.  I have a different computer, running Windows 10 now, which would be a difference.

TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

Ethan, I went the other way, as you see, from 64-bit to 32-bit and neither worked.   I'm starting to think it just doesn't work!  I had a co-worker start completely from scratch, no prior history with previous versions of the add-in.  He hasn't been able to get it to work either. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Good to know, that is what I did as well, started with a fresh spreadsheet and install. Hopefully they can find a fix!

0 Kudos
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

I've started digging around in my Control Panel > Event Viewer too, which I'm not that savvy with interpreting. I get similar errors to Ethan

An error occurred:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

...... and so on

and spotted one that sounds like a permission error:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}

and APPID

{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}

to the user (suppressed my ID here) SID (S-1-5-21-3219648850-738124763-203175933-125472) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Now, I don't have administrative privileges with my account, but I shouldn't have to for this sort of work.   I went back to the requirements page, and I see there is one version of Office 2016 that is known to have problems:

Caution:

*With Microsoft Office 2016 version 16.0.6326.1010, ArcGIS Maps for Office backstage controls do not function as designed. All other Microsoft Office 2016 versions are supported.

I checked, and this is not the version we have, which is 16.0.4849.1000

TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

I placed a ticket with support and learned this has been logged as a defect:  BUG-000123926:Adding data from Microsoft Excel based on counties hangs at one percent and crashes in ArcGIS Maps for Office.

This doesn't fix my problem, but it will keep me from attempting the same process steps over and over, and expecting to have different results.  I have contacted my account manager in the hopes this can be elevated.  

0 Kudos