Select to view content in your preferred language

Sign in to Excel through Enterprise portal

12-30-2023 07:24 AM
Jennifer_Parmeley
Occasional Contributor

The option to Sign In using our enterprise portal is not available in some instances.

Trying to work through the ArcGIS for Excel Basics training tutorial.
When I try and sign in I only get the options of ArcGIS login or ArcGIS org url. I want to use our ENT portal url.

standardsignin.png

standardsignin_org.png

In the past I was able to work around this (when we had the odd la.arcgis error), by opening an empty excel document, signing in to our ENT portal and then opening the data file I needed. 
Currently when I try this it pops up the standard ArcGIS log in (above). 

I am able to open an empty document and sign in through our ENT portal, but as soon as I try to open the training file it wants me to sign in using the windows above.

entportalsignin.png

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Jennifer_Parmeley
Occasional Contributor

It never fails that as soon as I post I find something useful. 
I was able to copy the sheet of data I need from the training file to my empty workbook (where I have the ENT sign in). 
This is still frustrating and is only a work around. This will only complicate (and potentially confuse) staff in our org that I need to create training for.

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

From the FAQ. Did you try this yet?

Why can't I connect to my ArcGIS Enterprise portal instance from ArcGIS for Excel

If you can't connect to your ArcGIS Enterprise portal instance from ArcGIS for Excel, ensure that the ArcGIS connection specified in the ArcGIS for Excel configuration settings uses the HTTPS protocol (for example, https://sampleportal.xyz.com/portal). Specifically, confirm that the maps.arcgis.com extension, for example, https://example.maps.arcgis.com does not support HTTP.

0 Kudos
Jennifer_Parmeley
Occasional Contributor

I hadn't seen that. I sent it to our GIS admin to see if they could access those settings, I'm not sure it will fix the issue, but it's worth a look to see. Thanks!

I can something access the portal (through an empty excel workbook), but not always (when trying to open the training data for the ESRI class related to Excel)

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

By chance, are you able to check if your company Portal is still selected when you launch the training? I am wondering if the training is setting AGO as the default login option. Or, its potentially opening a difference instance of Excel (If you had more than one install of Excel, that could potentially confuse things).

0 Kudos
Jennifer_Parmeley
Occasional Contributor

I created a support ticket with ESRI associated with the training issue. I found that the issue persisted when using data in an excel sheet we created. It looks like this is by design and not seen as an issue.

You have to sign in to AGOL in order to geocode in Excel. 
I signed in with my enterprise portal, set up the geocode, and still had to sign in to an AGOL to get the "add to map" button to work. Looking at the portal/sign in after the geocode I am still signed into the enterprise portal. In this case the AGOL sign in doesn't appear to do anything.

If signed into our enterprise portal and using a custom locator no credits were used from the AGOL account. 
If signed into our enterprise portal and using ESRI world geocoder, credits were used from the AGOL account. 

There is no warning or notice on credit use in Excel.

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Well, that's all really good (if not disappointing) information! Thank you for following up on this.

ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

Good afternoon @Jennifer_Parmeley 

Based on your description above, I believe this is an easy fix. You may reset the map and be provided the option to set your URL. 

ShannonCardoza_0-1707163504208.png

ShannonCardoza_1-1707163520467.png

Thank you for reaching out. Please let me know if this is helpful!

SC

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer
Jennifer_Parmeley
Occasional Contributor

@ShannonCardoza is this a new feature? I had a support ticket with ESRI on this and they did not give this as an option, for switching portals. 

After using the Reset Map option, I signed into our ENT portal. I am still being asked to sign into ArcGIS Online when I try to geocode (add points from an address). I can add points from x,y, but not from an address.

0 Kudos
ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

@Jennifer_Parmeley Firstly, I apologize for the support ticket situation. Our add-in is a new-ish UI/UX so some may be unfamiliar just yet.

As for sign-in, ArcGIS for Excel works directly with your ArcGIS subscription to allow you to access geographic content. To access all map tools and content in ArcGIS for Excel, your ArcGIS user type must have been granted privileges to create, analyze, and share content in an ArcGIS Online organization or an on-premises ArcGIS Enterprise deployment. Geocoding would require sign-in. Add xy does not. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

-SC

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer
0 Kudos