Attribute table privileges

Jump to solution
08-07-2023 03:28 AM
Polesig
New Contributor III

I've been trying the new Add-in capabilities allowing to edit attributes from a feature layer in Excel.

Testing it on my content was successful, however it seems I cannot use it with layers shared with me through a group, even so I have editing privileges.

Also it seems a Field Worker account cannot use the functionnality to add attribute table in Excel.

I couldn't find any information in the documentation or the blog annoucement about those limitations, could you explain them ?

Thanks a lot

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

Thank you for the screenshot. This would make sense. From the User type options, Mobile Workers can view and edit data that has been shared with them by other ArcGIS users and have access to a selection of appsThis user type is ideal for users who primarily interact with ArcGIS content through field apps.

Which appears to be 1 level shy of having Creator permissions. Creators can create and edit content such as maps and apps, perform spatial analysis using the analysis tools in ArcGIS Online, collect data, and collaborate and share content for use in apps. We need the 'access' to use the analysis tools. Can you change the user type from Mobile worker to Creator account or perhaps you can add privilege to the Mobile worker so they have access to the analysis tools? The organization administrator can assign and change privileges that are assigned to custom roles.

See the User types for more information. 

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Polesig
New Contributor III
Hello Shannon,
I saw in https://doc.arcgis.com/fr/arcgis-online/analyze/use-analysis-tools.htm that those analysis tools can only be used by at least a Creator profile.
The profile needs to be able to create, update and delete content.
Consequently I understand it's not available to mobile worker accounts, it does answer my question.
Thanks a lot for your answers.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

Good Morning @Polesig,

Thank you for posting your inquiry. I am happy to hear you were able to add and edit attribute data into ArcGIS for Excel. 

As for the layer shared with you. Can you confirm this was a feature layer shared with the group? Sometimes a user's workflow will involve 'saving the map' which can save it as a web map. Therefore, there will not be an associated attribute table for our add-in to fetch. 

In regards to the Fieldworker account, some workflows require a combination of privileges. For example, to publish hosted tile layers or publish hosted feature layers, you also need privileges to create content. To create apps from Map Viewer, Map Viewer Classic, or group pages, you need privileges to share items and create content. See Configure member roles for more information. In your Org > under My Settings > under Licenses, you can see exactly what you have. This fix may be as simple as asking your admin to change up permissions. 

Example:

ShannonCardoza_0-1691430994511.png

All the best, 

SC

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer
0 Kudos
Polesig
New Contributor III

Hello Shannon and thanks a lot for you reply,

I tried side by side with one Creator account and one Mobile worker account, both having ArcGIS for Office licence (identical to the screenshot you posted).

However when I navigate to the same group in the Excel Addin, the Creator user gets the "add attribute table" button, whereas the Mobile Worker does not...

Polesig_0-1691513601206.png

Polesig_1-1691513624375.png

Is there any permission that should be granted in addition to the licence ?

Thanks a lot,

ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

Thank you for the screenshot. This would make sense. From the User type options, Mobile Workers can view and edit data that has been shared with them by other ArcGIS users and have access to a selection of appsThis user type is ideal for users who primarily interact with ArcGIS content through field apps.

Which appears to be 1 level shy of having Creator permissions. Creators can create and edit content such as maps and apps, perform spatial analysis using the analysis tools in ArcGIS Online, collect data, and collaborate and share content for use in apps. We need the 'access' to use the analysis tools. Can you change the user type from Mobile worker to Creator account or perhaps you can add privilege to the Mobile worker so they have access to the analysis tools? The organization administrator can assign and change privileges that are assigned to custom roles.

See the User types for more information. 

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer
0 Kudos
Polesig
New Contributor III
Hello Shannon,
I saw in https://doc.arcgis.com/fr/arcgis-online/analyze/use-analysis-tools.htm that those analysis tools can only be used by at least a Creator profile.
The profile needs to be able to create, update and delete content.
Consequently I understand it's not available to mobile worker accounts, it does answer my question.
Thanks a lot for your answers.
ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

You're welcome! Have a nice day @Polesig 

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer
0 Kudos