Read Object Data as attributes

12-27-2023 04:21 AM
yigalm
by
New Contributor III

I have a CAD file with a polyline layer. Some of the features contain Object Data.

When I create a new feature layer out of this Cad layer, I don't see the Object Data attributes.

I know I can export a shapefile with the Object Data information directly from AutoCAD Map, but I would like to publish a feature layer to ArcGIS online using AFA without missing information.

There is a Block to Feature layer capability, where you can expose the block attributes. Can I do the same with Object Data for polylines in AutoCAD Map?

@DanWade 

Thanks,

Yigal Muntner

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanWade
Esri Contributor

Hello @yigalm,

You can also take advantage of these Object Data Tables (ODT) in AutoCAD Civil 3D too. However, ArcGIS Pro nor the ArcGIS for AutoCAD (AFA) sharing process does not read these ODTs.

I do see your drawing already contains an AFA Document Feature Layer (DFL) which is a great start. A DFL is AFA bridging the gap between CAD and GIS natively in the drawing file. With that "Area" DFL you can create most any type of data field needed. I see you are calling a date field with the ODT you have. So the Area DFL should have a field of Date/Time.

Now when you open the drawing in ArcGIS Pro and or share the drawing layers with ArcGIS Online and or ArcGIS Enterprise your ODT details are part of the DFL field and will therefore be part of the layer.

Kind regards,

Dan

0 Kudos
yigalm
by
New Contributor III

Thanks @DanWade ,

I know I can create a new date field in the DFL and use it instead of using Object Data. If I build the layer from scratch, I would do this. The problem is that the customer has dozens of files, built the same way. This was the only way to save attributes to polylines before AFA. I would like to be able to extract that data. Since I'm working within AutoCAD, I think the best way is to extract the data to the DFL.

The only option now is to export the data to a file gdb or a shapefile.

Regards,
Yigal

0 Kudos
DanWade
Esri Contributor

Hey @yigalm,

I believe what you are after can be accomplished by chaining a few AutoLISP functions together.

To extract the object data value(s) use these Map3D LISP functions. Then use this AFA AutoLISP function to set the AFA attributes from the values returned from above: 

You can also submit ideas you have for AFA at ArcGIS for AutoCAD Ideas.

Kind regards,

Dan