Feature layer symbology ArcGIS for AutoCAD

01-27-2020 02:33 AM
GeorgiaRoberts1
New Contributor III

I am using the ArcGIS for AutoCAD plugin. I am importing feature layers from ArcGIS Enterprise to edit in AutoCAD. However, when I import the layers, the predefined symbology does not come through. Instead, I just get small circles. Is there a way to keep the predefined symbology from Enterprise in AutoCAD? Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Randy_Garcia
Esri Contributor

Hi Georgia,

No sorry that is not possible. This is part of the challenge of integrating GIS with CAD. GIS symbology is inherently different than GIS symbology. In ArcGIS for AutoCAD we want the experience to match AutoCAD as much as possible. The little circles you are seeing is the CAD symbol for a point. You can change this CAD symbol by typing "DDPTYPE" at the command line in AutoCAD. 

If you need the GIS symbology ArcGIS for AutoCAD supports Adding the map service along with the feature service. So by doing so you will end up with a dynamic image of what the map looks like in GIS, with the correct symbology, behind your CAD features from the feature service.

GeorgiaRoberts1
New Contributor III

Thanks for the clarification Randy. Do you know if this functionality will be added to ArcGIS for AutoCAD in a future update?

0 Kudos
Randy_Garcia
Esri Contributor

Having the GIS symbology as CAD features is not in the product plan. The ability to add the map service to autocad that has an image of the symbology is currently possible with the plugin. 

JonathanGray2
New Contributor II

Hello there!  I am real new to all of this so I am hoping you would answer a simple question for me.   When you said "If you need the GIS symbology ArcGIS for AutoCAD supports Adding the map service"  do we need arcgis enterprise in order to publish a map service? 

I see how to make a webmap easily in arcgis online but I am thinking this is a different thing than a map service? Is that correct?  

0 Kudos