Select to view content in your preferred language

Multi-Battery Flight

Jump to solution
03-17-2022 05:29 AM
AndrewBowne
Frequent Contributor

Does Site Scan Flight support multi-battery missions?  I have a very large mission which will require swapping out battery sets on our M300 2 to 3 times. Will the drone return to the last position after returning to home to swap batteries?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
5 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor
AndrewBowne
Frequent Contributor

This is exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you! 

Locating the right documentation can sometimes be a chore!  

0 Kudos
JavierPablos_EsriEspaña
Emerging Contributor

Hi @AndrewBowne,

The following link might answer your question How To: Fly a multi-battery flight with Site Scan Flight for ArcGIS (esri.com)

The Site Scan Flight App computes the number of batteries required for the flight.

0 Kudos
AndrewBowne
Frequent Contributor

I have a follow-up question on this.  If I were to change the take off location when I swapped batteries, would the drone still return to where it left off? 

So, drone takes off from point "A".  flies until batteries are drained.  Drone returns to point "A".  I reposition (say, 1/2 mile away or somewhere closer to where the drone left off with the mission) and take off from new position "B".  Will the drone return to where it left off capturing images?  Or, do I need to keep the take off and RTH locations the same for the whole mission?

0 Kudos
NicoBonnafoux
Esri Contributor

Yes, the drone will still resume the mission where it left off (starting waypoint of the last incomplete flight leg to be precise) even if you change takeoff locations. On long flight legs, you'll see additional waypoints added automatically every 30 seconds of flight time to avoid having the drone refly an entire leg.

If you plan on doing this, I strongly recommend using the Terrain Follow option, otherwise, you may end up with images captured at different heights above ground which could affect the quality of your data processing.