Using a field to filter another field in Field Maps; no work around?

Jump to solution
10-25-2021 06:30 AM
LeanneTough
New Contributor II

Ideally, I want a drop down box in Field Maps to filter another drop down box. I have a field called 'Codes', and each code has several 'Options' which are in another field. If a worker chose the Code 'Roofing', the very long Options list would be filtered to just show the Roofing Options.

I've spent a couple of days trying to see if there is a work around, and everywhere keeps saying that Filter in Arcade isn't possible yet. @Anonymous User, I saw you've talked about sub-types (https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-field-maps-questions/can-you-limit-the-drop-down-list-of-domain-values/m-p/1019329#M272) but I can't find any documentation about how to code this in Field Maps. 

Is there really no work around? Do I just need to be patient? Does anyone know for how long?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Another solution that would function similar to a filter would be to create unique fields for each of the 'Codes' corresponding options. Then create a domain for each of those fields (containing the options), creating drop-down boxes for each of those fields, and then using Arcade's hide-show logic to only show the drop-down box for the selected Code. So if code 'Roofing' is chosen, a drop down for Roofing Options is shown. All of the options could then be brought into one field using Python, Field Calculator, or having Arcade doing it dynamically. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Another solution that would function similar to a filter would be to create unique fields for each of the 'Codes' corresponding options. Then create a domain for each of those fields (containing the options), creating drop-down boxes for each of those fields, and then using Arcade's hide-show logic to only show the drop-down box for the selected Code. So if code 'Roofing' is chosen, a drop down for Roofing Options is shown. All of the options could then be brought into one field using Python, Field Calculator, or having Arcade doing it dynamically. 

LeanneTough
New Contributor II

Thank you William, this a great idea. I'm going to leave this open for a few more days to see if anyone gets back with any other solutions. 

0 Kudos