Trouble connecting Geode (GPS from Juniper Systems) to Field Maps on an iOS tablet

05-12-2022 09:37 AM
AlexZacher
New Contributor II

Hello,

I've been using a Geode (Juniper Systems Inc) to collect data in Field Maps on an iOS tablet, and having issues with it connecting reliably: stating that the GPS location is not available.

Some days it connects immediately, other days it takes anywhere from 5-10 minutes of fiddling, or does not connect at all. So far, the best method we've found that works sometimes is to turn on the Geode and wait for it to fully connect to the GNSS, then turn on the tablet, connect the two devices via Bluetooth, and pray.

More recently, we've also received the message: "No Information Received: Juniper Systems Inc. #309863 is not sending information. Make sure your location provider is configured properly."

We do not open the Geode's associated application to try and prevent it from "fighting" with Field Maps for a connection. However, this does not seem to affect whether or not the two devices successfully connect.

Has anyone else had similar issues? Any suggestions or fixes would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

5 Replies
JustinReynolds
Occasional Contributor III

We are about to find out I suppose since we are about to deploy some geodes on iOS tablets with field maps in the next few weeks.  I'm curious as to  what type of iOS tablet you are using.  iPAD mini... generation, wifi+mobile or wifi only etc.  Also what version of Field Maps are you on and which geode are you using?

- Justin Reynolds, PE
AlexZacher
New Contributor II

Hi Justin,

Thanks for your response. When it does connect, this setup works great! I hope that you all have less trouble. Let me know how it goes if you think of it.

We're using a 7th generation iPad with version 15.4.1 installed. Wi-Fi and mobile are enabled. The Geode is model # 28357 (with a GNS2 Multi-GNSS and a 1 Hz receiver). Field maps is currently version 22.2.0.

- Alex Zacher

Caitlin_Todd_LCOR
New Contributor III

Hi Zach and Alex,

Did either of you learn more about this issue? We just bought a Geode and are having some difficulty getting ArcGIS Field Maps to use its information at all. Same error message you were getting Alex. The location provider GNSS coordinate system and map coordinate system are configured correctly, but it still says "GPS location not available".

0 Kudos
Caitlin_Todd_LCOR
New Contributor III

I think I may have found a clue to get it to send location information to the iPad and ArcGIS Field Maps.

After much troubleshooting, I ended up installing the Geode Connect app and configuring the Geode device in that app first. Then I disconnected the Geode from that app and direct connected the Geode to ArcGIS FieldMaps. After doing that it starting working.

0 Kudos
JustinReynolds
Occasional Contributor III

This is what we do as well for the iOS devices.

- Justin Reynolds, PE
0 Kudos