Time stamp photo? Field Maps

Jump to solution
05-20-2021 01:26 PM
BugPie
by
Occasional Contributor III

We are trying to implement Field Maps (well, we started with collector, but I see it's being depreciated) to assist with photo location mapping.  A requirement is that the photo log must display time stamped photos. We can do everything else needed with the app, just need this time stamp piece. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Currently this is not available in the Field Maps app. It is on the roadmap though.

There is an example Jupyter notebook we put together or Dev Summit 2021 that shows how you can post-process features to generate a report. One of the things in there is how to extract information from the photos EXIF data and then apply a watermark on the image with that data. It includes the timestamp and coordinates. It might be something to look into if you have experience with Python.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Currently this is not available in the Field Maps app. It is on the roadmap though.

There is an example Jupyter notebook we put together or Dev Summit 2021 that shows how you can post-process features to generate a report. One of the things in there is how to extract information from the photos EXIF data and then apply a watermark on the image with that data. It includes the timestamp and coordinates. It might be something to look into if you have experience with Python.

BugPie
by

@Anonymous User  Thank you for your response, although I'll admit I'm sad that this is still only on a road map after moving from Collector. I will give your solution a try and see if it will work. I'm guessing that because python is needed that our standard field user will not be able to accomplish the watermark themselves and would need an analyst to support. 

0 Kudos
BugPie
by

@Anonymous User  - any chance you can provide a link to the road map documentation? Trying to understand how long the road is before this is going to be released. 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We don't have a public roadmap. I would not expect this feature to be available until at least a year from now. First, we need to add support for in-line attachments in the form.

Do you have any additional requirements besides showing a timestamp?

Does it need to be formatted in a certain way? What about text color?

Where should it be placed on the image (e.g. top right, bottom right)?

What size font is required? Does it need to change based on the size of the image?

Do you need any other info like the coordinates embedded onto the photo?

0 Kudos
BugPie
by

Hi @Anonymous User  - thanks for your detailed inquiry seeking more requirements. 

This is what I can provide, hope it helps the ESRI team develop a solution. My experience tells me that the simpler the better, but you folks are the ones to design and implement so I'll leave that to the pros.

The requirement we are in need of satisfying for the state historic preservation offices in re: to Section 106 consultation is to display the date and time of the photo. I was thinking it would be best to leave that to the technology and add automatically since our users will only have field user licenses. 

To add my .02 to your other questions:

•  Applying date/time can't require an elevated user license type. These are field users who will be using apps and print widgets to create maps and reports. 
  • No formatting - I'd recommend two options for text color. Back & White. - again, simple is best. 
  • I would default to bottom right. Allowing each corner as an option would be thoughtful. 
  • font... IDK something small like we used to see when we used point and click digital cameras. Again, I would think only 1 - 2 options would be best.  Personally, I wouldn't want it to change with photo size. the font size should set that? 
  • Our requirement is to show a map of each photo location as well as the direction the photo is facing. so perhaps the Azimuth woudl be useful. Perhaps coordinates may be needed by others but not in our use case. 

Thank you for engaging with me on these requirement over the forum pages. I appreciate your interest in supporting my organization and all our users and client. 

Cheers 

PaulLong
New Contributor II

Collin

We did something like this that we started back in 2014 before they had photo attachments in Collector and before you could carry the EXIF info in the GIS DB. We just used iPADs with there built in EXIF INFO and then would sync the Photo library to Dropbox for auto download and then run the Photo to points tool from ESRI on the different photo folders. You can then make a chevron symbol of the point and assign the geographic azimuth rotation (extracted from the EXIF automatically by the Photos 2 Pts routine to the symbol rotation and load them on a map which show the location. You may have to fiddle a bit with the rotation option (o or 180) in the Symbology tab by testing and imported photo point. Not sure how close you need the location, but we used it for identifying Storm Drain features for repair..

https://www.screencast.com/t/vmB96DZk

https://www.screencast.com/t/wsuHVLdhiml

https://www.screencast.com/t/U24f6YXc

0 Kudos
EddBlaine
New Contributor III

Hi Aaron,

Just checking in to see if the timestamp functionality has been rolled into Field Maps or is available as a post process in ArcGIS Pro perhaps...?

0 Kudos
GustafsonTerry
New Contributor II

Aaron,

Do you by chance know when this feature might be added to field maps?  I have tried to add another timestamp app.  I have added am automation so that when the camera is used it defaults to the new camera timestamp app.  But it seems like field maps uses the default camera app anyway so no time stamp is applied..

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'd say this feature is on the medium-to-long term road-map. So probably at least 6 months to a year out.