templates/default values for non-spatial tables?

Jump to solution
10-05-2022 03:58 PM
PaulPetersen1
Occasional Contributor

I have a Field Map in which the user collects facility inspection data within a related (non-spatial) table. I'd like to set default values in the related inspection table, but it appears that I have to create and set up a template in order to do so. And it also appears that I can only create templates for spatial layers. Thus, it looks as though there is no way to set templates (or default values) within a non-spatial table in Field Maps. Am I missing something?

(yes, I know I can use arcade to calculate a default, and that is my fall-back)

BTW, I'm using hosted feature layers in AGO.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sean_Haile
New Contributor III

It is possible to create edit templates for related tables in ArcGIS Pro, where you can then set default values for for fields in the table like you would in a feature template.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/editing/create-a-table-template.htm 

That functionality did not exist in ArcGIS Desktop.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Tables always lack full support in all Esri products.  I really have no idea why since most business data is tables.  It really slows down adoption of their software really.

I would suggest just making it a spatial layer.  You gain so much.  We use it all the time to see when an inspector goes to the wrong location, or logs under the wrong parent record, or for proof in compliance.  It comes in handy all the time. No real advantage to not storing the data.  You are really just assuming they always get it right which is of course not the case.

Hope that helps

PaulPetersen1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion. I may try just making everything spatial in future projects. For now, I'll try setting defaults with Arcade...only populate the arcade calculate when the field is empty.

PaulPetersen1
Occasional Contributor

FYI, to anyone reading this thread, using Arcade to set defaults only really works on attributes that you want to show as a label. If it is designed to be a dropdown/radial buttons, having an arcade calculation will change it to a non-editable label and you lose the dropdown functionality. Just a limitation of the method at this point.

CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

@PaulPetersen1 How did you create the layer and its associated table?

0 Kudos
PaulPetersen1
Occasional Contributor

@CraigGillgrass , hi, I set up the layers and relationships in ArcGIS Pro 3.0. File gdb. Then published from Pro to AGO hosted feature layer.

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

@PaulPetersen1 can you share your file gdb with me so I can take a look?  Is it schema only?

0 Kudos
PaulPetersen1
Occasional Contributor

@CraigGillgrass , sorry for late reply...was on the road all last week. I'll send you blank schema as a direct message. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Sean_Haile
New Contributor III

It is possible to create edit templates for related tables in ArcGIS Pro, where you can then set default values for for fields in the table like you would in a feature template.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/editing/create-a-table-template.htm 

That functionality did not exist in ArcGIS Desktop.

PaulPetersen1
Occasional Contributor

@Sean_Haile , thanks for the tip. Are these templates that are created in Pro on non-spatial tables honored in AGO and in Field Maps?

0 Kudos