Select to view content in your preferred language

Staking out points using Field Maps and Trimble DA2

Wednesday
MarieDawes
New Contributor II

Hello,

We recently began gathering field data with a Trimble DA2, using their Catalyst correction service and Field Maps. Now that we have this set-up, people are asking me how we can use this system in reverse: having the known accurate coordinates, how can we re-locate the points in the field when the target is no longer visible. This seems to me to be the point of having accurate coordinates in the first place. 

I realize what we're doing isn't surveying, and maybe that's the crux of the matter. But the only way I've been able to do this is to use the Compass function in Field Maps, then move the receiver as close as I can get to the point, until the location I'm at is quite close to what the map is showing. I hope the picture here tells the story:

Screenshot 2024-06-26.png

In an actual situation we'd have our DA2 set to use the 1 cm accuracy; that's not what I used to grab the screenshot above. I've tried this out on some test locations and the best case scenario is getting me within a couple inches of the known point. In fact, when I'm directly on top of it, Field Maps is telling me I'm 1-2 inches away. I think this is because the transformation I'm using between the DA2 coordinate system and my map coordinate system. 

My question is: is this how we have to do this with the equipment and software we have or is there another way that I'm unaware of? 

1 Reply
NickAddison
New Contributor III

Following this.

0 Kudos