Select to view content in your preferred language

Special characters in layer name prevent layers from loading

05-04-2023 06:44 AM
StefanUseldinger
Occasional Contributor II

Today, we upgraded from ArcGIS Enterprise 11.0 to 11.1 and receive the following error on our iOS devices:

04.05.23 10:56 Layer (LAYERNAME) failed to load with error: Error Domain=com.esri.arcgis.runtime.error Code=2 "Invalid argument." UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=UTF8 contains invalid characters, NSLocalizedDescription=Invalid argument., Additional Message=UTF8 contains invalid characters}

I found out, that the initial loading of the map worked without issue. However, after subsequent reloading of the map and restarting the app, some layers could not be fetched.

I narrowed down the issue to Hosted Feature Services. Regular FS and Map Services were not concerned afaik. I noticed that only Hosted Feature Service layers are facing the issue, where the layer name contains special characters. By this, I mean the layer name exposed on the Rest interface. You can also rename the non-special-character layer with special characters in the map config (“override”), but this does not produce the error. The Hosted Feature Service may also contain special characters; Field Maps can handle it well.

After renaming the service layer in the Admin Rest API the problem does not occur anymore.

Is this a known behavior?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
IvanPobis1
New Contributor II

I have same problem after upgrading ArcGIS Enterprise from 11.0 to 11.1.  Quick Capture Works fine. 

0 Kudos
StefanUseldinger
Occasional Contributor II

The recently released ArcGIS Server Patch fixes both issues (special characters in domain values and layer  names for hosted and non-hosted feature services).

• BUG-000158047 - When making multiple requests to a map service with returnAdvancedSymbols=true, non-ascii characters are incorrectly encoded in responses after the initial request.
  • BUG-000158045 - Feature service layer resources with returnAdvancedSymbols=true&returnDomainNames=true can have inconsistent responses.
  • BUG-000158036 - Non-English characters are not displayed properly in custom data feed feature service responses.
  • BUG-000154221 - After installing the ArcGIS Server Security 2022 Update 1 or 2 Patch, the KML region URL of a map service is invalid.