Special characters in layer name prevent layers from loading

1729
11
05-04-2023 06:44 AM
StefanUseldinger
Occasional Contributor II

Today, we upgraded from ArcGIS Enterprise 11.0 to 11.1 and receive the following error on our iOS devices:

04.05.23 10:56 Layer (LAYERNAME) failed to load with error: Error Domain=com.esri.arcgis.runtime.error Code=2 "Invalid argument." UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=UTF8 contains invalid characters, NSLocalizedDescription=Invalid argument., Additional Message=UTF8 contains invalid characters}

I found out, that the initial loading of the map worked without issue. However, after subsequent reloading of the map and restarting the app, some layers could not be fetched.

I narrowed down the issue to Hosted Feature Services. Regular FS and Map Services were not concerned afaik. I noticed that only Hosted Feature Service layers are facing the issue, where the layer name contains special characters. By this, I mean the layer name exposed on the Rest interface. You can also rename the non-special-character layer with special characters in the map config (“override”), but this does not produce the error. The Hosted Feature Service may also contain special characters; Field Maps can handle it well.

After renaming the service layer in the Admin Rest API the problem does not occur anymore.

Is this a known behavior?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
StefanUseldinger
Occasional Contributor II

I updated the initial post with further details.

0 Kudos
FlorianTubbesing
New Contributor II

I´m facing the same issue but in a bit different way. I have registered Feature Services with mutated vowels like "ä" or "ö" in the Layer Alias Names in ArcGIS Pro. I get the exactly same error message when i publish this as a registered FS and try to get it in Field Maps. Without the mutated vowels in Layer Aliases it works perfectly even if i rename the layer in the Portal MapViewer back. 

For me it seems like some kind of bug in Field Maps.

0 Kudos
StefanUseldinger
Occasional Contributor II

Have You noticed this behavior after upgrading to Enterprise 11.1 like we do?

0 Kudos
FlorianTubbesing
New Contributor II

I´ve noticed it on a brand new Installation included a field maps projekt on top. You´re first with an Update on 11.1 in our customer environment.

0 Kudos
StefanUseldinger
Occasional Contributor II

Meanwhile, I can confirm that the issue is not limited to Hosted Feature Services but also occurs with standalone services. As I said, if I rename the layers, the problem is solved in Android and iOS.

However, if a domain name contains special characters, the layers still won't load in iOS. Renaming the domain solves the issue.

I also noticed that values with special characters in coded value domains are not displayed in the form dropdown of the Field Maps iOS app.

0 Kudos
StefanUseldinger
Occasional Contributor II

BUG-000158432 - In Review

0 Kudos
MatthiasKl
New Contributor III

@StefanUseldinger  schrieb:
Meanwhile, I can confirm that the issue is not limited to Hosted Feature Services but also occurs with standalone services. As I said, if I rename the layers, the problem is solved in Android and iOS.

However, if a domain name contains special characters, the layers still won't load in iOS. Renaming the domain solves the issue.

I also noticed that values with special characters in coded value domains are not displayed in the form dropdown of the Field Maps iOS app.

We're facing the same issues. We upgraded from ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9 to 11.1 and on iOS devices, the layers and tables with special characters like ä, ö, ü or the letter Eszett in their name do not load. This is a serious bug that should be fixed quickly. Our field staff mainly use android devices, but even here umlauts and are not displayed correctly in domain descriptions.

0 Kudos
StefanUseldinger
Occasional Contributor II

I submitted two bugs in the last weeks:

BUG-000158432 - In the ArcGIS Field Maps app, items with titles containing accented characters fail to load after reloading the map.

BUG-000159062 - Unable to see domain values containing special character in Field Maps

MatthiasKl
New Contributor III

Further testing suggests that the problem is more related to domain values. As soon as an umlaut is used in a domain value description, the layer/table cannot be loaded by the iOS Field Maps App.

0 Kudos