Snapping newly created point to another point feature layer in map

Jump to solution
07-05-2022 05:38 PM
gcainak
New Contributor

I'm attempting to create a calculated expression within Field Maps where a newly created point snaps to the closest existing feature from another point feature layer in my map and fetches its attributes.

I've recently been able to create an expression that fetches the attributes of a nearest point feature using this arcade expression template  . However, I am still working out how to snap the newly created point to an existing point. Does anyone in this community have an example of a custom function which snaps a newly created point to a closest existing point?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Are you trying to actually move the location of the point by updating the geometry of the feature? That workflow isn't supported with form calculations - only attributes can be calculated.

If that is what is desired, you may want to look into Attribute Rules (which are only supported on ArcGIS Enterprise at this time). There's a post here with some related info and discussion.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Are you trying to actually move the location of the point by updating the geometry of the feature? That workflow isn't supported with form calculations - only attributes can be calculated.

If that is what is desired, you may want to look into Attribute Rules (which are only supported on ArcGIS Enterprise at this time). There's a post here with some related info and discussion.

gcainak
New Contributor

Thanks Aaron for the information and your expressions on GitHub. 

Yes, I was attempting to move the location of the newly created point by updating the geometry feature. It's good to know that form calculations are limited to attributes only. 

Our organization has Enterprise so we'll see if we can use Attribute Rules to achieve the desired snapping functionality. 

0 Kudos