Replicate User's 'Garmin Experience' within Esri Ecosystem? Field Maps? Trek2There?

06-12-2023 11:36 AM
CharliePhilbrick1
New Contributor III

I work for a land management organization and support many folks in the field who do all kinds of work, much of it outside of reliable cellular data coverage. For many years now our wildlife staff have used off-the-shelf handheld Garmin units to create waypoints for various points of interest that they would like to return to. Things like potential nesting sites or areas where they've spotted a species of interest. 

Over the last 5 years, I've been steadily migrating the organization's data collection efforts from ArcPad and TerraSync to Field Maps and Survey123 (as well as 1 or 2 non-esri platforms). I'd like to be able to offer staff who've been managing their own .gpx files a better solution - and one that I can help keep an eye on/manage/administer from the back end. I haven't thought this all the way through yet, but ideally I think users would be accessing their information and functionality through a mobile device (probably iPhone) and I would be turning dials and pulling levers via AGO or Portal.

I have set another team up to use Trek2There to navigate to multiple monitoring locations in conjunction with a webmap that they access through Field Maps, but I believe that the custom URL string that feeds coordinates from features in the webmap to Trek2There relies on an active data connection, which is a deal breaker in this use case. I can conceive of how to do this entirely within an offline capable web map in Field Maps, but it feels clunky and like a tough sell compared to what they're currently doing with the Garmin units. 

Does esri offer an app that allows for easy creation of and navigation to waypoints? I'd like to stay within the stack of esri offerings for this one, but I'm not sure if there's a product that meets our needs. Please advise!

Thanks, 

Charlie

0 Kudos
0 Replies